Official Chasm on Linux Thread

Help and problem reporting for the game.
gr0undzer0

Official Chasm on Linux Thread

Post by gr0undzer0 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Just a heads up to any who might find themselves here looking to run the game on Fedora.

Instructions for use with Fedora 64bit:

sudo or get root and type:

' yum install mono-core libgdiplus derelict-openAL-devel.x86_64 SDL_mixer.x86_64 '

Navigate to your game directory (where you unzipped Chasm) and type:

'bash chasm'

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Chasm on Linux

Post by James » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Instructions for use with Ubuntu

sudo or get root and type:

'apt-get install mono-complete'
'apt-get install libopenal1'
'apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libsdl1.2debian libsdl-mixer1.2'

Navigate to your game directory (where you unzipped Chasm) and type:

'bash chasm'

Yulike

Re: Official Chasm on Linux Thread

Post by Yulike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Works well on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit. :) Great game btw. Do you have plans for a DRM free version for non-kickstarters? What about Steam Achievements for the Steam version?

Cheers

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Some feedback from an Ubuntu user that may be helpful:
Reposting from the update. I ran into some issues getting Chasm to run on a pretty basic Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS box. In case it helps other users, these are the steps I performed to get it to work:
1. In /etc/openal/alsoft.conf uncomment the line "drivers = pulse,alsa,oss..." and remove pulse from the list
2. apt-get install mono-complete libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
3. chmod +x chasm

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Yulike wrote:Works well on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit. :) Great game btw. Do you have plans for a DRM free version for non-kickstarters? What about Steam Achievements for the Steam version?

Cheers
Yea, I definitely still want to have a non-DRM version you can download direct from us. I love Steam for it's convenience, but I'm the type of person that wants to be able to run a game in 20 years ;)

We are definitely planning on Achievements for Steam, and maybe even non-steam versions.

Xpander

Post by Xpander » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/287 ... 5%3A43.png
sry for big picture but thats what happens under xfce4 and arch

didnt have to install anything extra though, just to mark the chasm file to executable and start.
but cannot maximize the window and some of the content seems to be missing due the small window size.

System Specs:
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955 , ~3.6GHz
Memory:8 GB DDR3 (1333Mhz)
Video Card:Asus Geforce 560 Ti 1GB Direct CU
Sound Card:Realtek ALC889
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Operating System:Arch Linux 64bit
Kernel: 3.8.6-1
Filesystem: ext4
Nvidia drivers: 319.12
Desktop Environment: Xfce4

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Xpander wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/287 ... 5%3A43.png
sry for big picture but thats what happens under xfce4 and arch

didnt have to install anything extra though, just to mark the chasm file to executable and start.
but cannot maximize the window and some of the content seems to be missing due the small window size.

System Specs:
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955 , ~3.6GHz
Memory:8 GB DDR3 (1333Mhz)
Video Card:Asus Geforce 560 Ti 1GB Direct CU
Sound Card:Realtek ALC889
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
Operating System:Arch Linux 64bit
Kernel: 3.8.6-1
Filesystem: ext4
Nvidia drivers: 319.12
Desktop Environment: Xfce4
Yea, that's definitely not the correct size viewport.. perhaps playing with Scaling or Fullscreen in config.ini and let us know what happens ;)

Xpander

Post by Xpander » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 pm

scaling 2 makes it fit the small window.
im little bit worried about going to fullscreen though.

does it use sdl2?
cause sdl1 games tend to freak out my dualmonitor setup with weird resolutions and fliping monitors around.

edit: seems sdl2
works great on fullscreen :). no issues with other monitor turned off or similar.
all fine and can alt+tab nicely as well :)

great work!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Xpander wrote:scaling 2 makes it fit the small window.
im little bit worried about going to fullscreen though.

does it use sdl2?
cause sdl1 games tend to freak out my dualmonitor setup with weird resolutions and fliping monitors around.
Interesting, not sure what would cause that.. I'll think about it. Yea, Monogame uses SDL underneath, but I'm not sure if its 1 or 2 to be honest. I'll try and find out.

flibitijibibo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by flibitijibibo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 pm

MonoGame upstream just uses OpenTK, which has approximately long.MaxValue problems on Linux (and only about uint.MaxValue problems on Windows). SDL 1.2 is used for joystick input as well as Song playback (SDL_mixer), but not for anything else.

If you're having trouble with Chasm's MonoGame branch, use this one instead:

http://www.flibitijibibo.com/chasmLinuxPatch.tar.bz2

This one should fix most of the display management issues in exchange for having different, but much less painful, display bugs. Believe me when I say this: You cannot, and will not, ever be able to do OpenTK window management correctly. Ever. Period. Don't waste your time on this for any reason. I'll explain further in a moment.

You'll also find in there a MonoKickstart environment. I've included this, the libs and a launcher script (./Chasm) that will give you working, standalone 32/64-bit support without any need to install deps on the user's side. There may be some extra libraries you don't need (TheoraPlay is one), but this is just my completed environment just in case.

I'm working on fixing the display bugs with an SDL2 port of MonoGame, but I'm currently working on this alone, so it'll take a little while (unless someone else comes in to help out, of course...). First up is writing SDL2#:

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/SDL2-CS

Then doing the MonoGame work, which will happen here:

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/MonoGame

Note that the monogame-sdl2 branch is probably broken. Use the `develop` branch instead; that's what the chasmLinuxPatch dll was built from.

A couple things worth noting, not sure if these are bugs or not:

- Music doesn't work. For MonoGame Linux, you're going to want to use Ogg Vorbis files. Don't worry about adding the file extension in your game code, we append ".ogg" by default.
- Exiting the game: any way to do it other than closing the window/Ctrl+C?

You have my e-mail, so let me know if you come across anything else odd with the Linux demo.