Official Chasm on Linux Thread

Help and problem reporting for the game.
flibitijibibo
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Official Chasm on Linux Thread

Post by flibitijibibo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm

MonoGame's been ported to SDL2 on Mac and Linux (and probably Windows too):

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/MonoGame

I very strongly recommend that this branch be used, rather than MonoGame upstream or my old `develop` branch.

Unfortunately I can't patch this for Chasm on my end, as the Mono runtime complains about my MonoGame Replacement Shenanigans(TM), so if you want to keep up, you'll need to use monogame-sdl2 at build time.

t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Post by t-ray » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:14 pm

So I've got Chasm running on Mint 14/Cinnamon 64 bit. I had problems with scaling, but the next day it started working, without any modification. Very odd.

I've not got a spare ps3 controller wired via usb, but I'm having a helluva time trying to figure out how to map the buttons. Forgive the linux newb.

Anyway, I contributed to the kickstarter, and was happy to do so. I like what I've seen so far, but I haven't gotten very far because I'm not find of using the keyboard at the moment.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey t-ray, it's a prototype so there's no joystick mapping at the moment. There should be a program for Linux though where you can just convert joystick input to keys. I use one on Windows for some games called Xpadder. Sorry for inconvenience!

t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Post by t-ray » Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I totally understand the nature of the demo, and I don't expect full functionality. That's completely understandable.

t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Post by t-ray » Fri May 03, 2013 3:12 pm

flibitijibibo, can you help me with some keymapping issues? I ditched the idea of using a ps3 controller, and went out and bought a Logitech F310. But I'm stuck again. I've tried qjoypad, but its make/make install cycle fails with multiple errors.

t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Post by t-ray » Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm

And.. nevermind. Finally got qjoypad to work, and after fiddling with the mappings, I am now able to enjoy the demo. Great work guys. Loving the game.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun May 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to us about it, sorry for the trouble!

flibitijibibo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by flibitijibibo » Mon May 27, 2013 4:09 am

MonoGame-SDL2 is now production ready, and you no longer need the modified XNB files for Vorbis Song playback:

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/MonoGame

I don't know if this is entirely compatible with Chasm's demo at this point (though it should still be XNA4 compliant), so I've not made a Chasm patch with MG-SDL2.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon May 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! We probably won't be touching Monogame again until late in the year, but I'll be sure to check it out when I can.