Hello Everyone

For any off-topic discussions
mkuehling

Hello Everyone

Post by mkuehling » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 pm

Hello.
I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Michael Kuehling, and I primarily compose music mostly to pass the time and because I enjoy listening to it -I know, sounds a bit narcissistic. Anyway, since I didn't know where to post this, or even if it's allowed elsewhere, I thought I'd go out on an extremely fragile limb over an abyss. Anyway, I've been composing music for the better part of 18 years now, and I'd like to think I've made exceptional progress over that time. I just busted my rear end for two days working on my latest piece which was inspired by an earlier piece last month yet I wasn't entirely sure I liked the final composition of that one. So, I made an orchestral reprise.
I grew up around a piano and taught myself how to play. Over the years, I added both an acoustic and an electric guitar (albeit I'm really not very good at either) and am currently saving up to purchase an electric cello since I've always wanted to learn how to play one.
I never went to college due to being diagnosed with multiple mental illnesses and knew from early on I wouldn't be able to hold down a "normal" job. But music has been a large passion of mine. So enough with the background I'll get to the point.
I have a large library of new and past tracks online (and I seriously have no clue whether or not I'm able to post links yet) and you can find them at www dot reverbnation dot com/mkuehling
I hope you find time to check some of them out. Just be sure to click View All as it only shows about the five most recent uploads. My newest piece is called The Echoes Of Our Past - Reprise.
Anyhoo....my goal is two-fold here. A: To do some shameless self-advertising and B: Hoping I can catch the ears (no pun intended. okay, maybe a little) of the dev team. Eventually down the line I would like to get a foot in the door with my music either appearing in a video game's OST or even part of a score for a movie. I do halfway have that much, as I wrote a song inspired by the game FTL (even named it Faster Than Light....because sometimes I'm not very original) and it and two other tracks have been used in the soundtrack for the fan animated series on youtube called FTL Kestral Adventures by Andrew Colunga.
I have also done a tribute to the older Castlevania games (which I called Tears Of Dracul) and a tribute/cover of the original Doom's episode one mission one level score which I titled Welcome To Mars. Honestly, I really don't expect much to come from this. If anything would, it would have happened already.
Sorry, been a long day. Anyway, I will completely shut up now and let you decide if you want to take a gander. I hope to hear any response, be it positive, negative, constructive criticism, or simply "meh". Hope you all have a wonderful time, and it will be a pleasure meeting you.
Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by James » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Hey Michael - the tunes sound pretty good! The world definitely doesn't have enough Castlevania covers :) If music is your passion then never give up! It can take years and years of practice and dedication before the right opportunity arises. Just keep at it!

mkuehling

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by mkuehling » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks for the kind words, James. And like I stated before, nearly two decades of nothing but practice and dedication :P On the plus side, the lead game designer for Techland does have a direct link to my music page, though honestly I'm sure he's too busy to give it a glance. I've actually been rolling around an idea to do some more covers of older video games like Streets Of Rage 2, or even Heretic and Hexen someday. And both the Castlevania and Doom tributes/covers were a complete and total pain in the backside to learn by ear. I know Doom has been done to death over the years (especially with the reboot now) in terms of covers, but I just thought I'd do two games that basically started me down the rabbit hole of composing music.