Forum Suggestions

For any off-topic discussions
poe
Supporter
Supporter

Forum Suggestions

Post by poe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Hey all, just wanted to suggest a few things for the forums since it's pretty new and easy to change.

Firstly I do have experience with PHPBB so these aren't just made up things.

Change the spambot countermeasure to a question. It's much easier for users and much harder for bots. Bots WILL get through the captcha you have, they did on my forum. The question I used is relevant to my game and simple that anyone could possibly get through it. (How many sides are on a cube)

You'll also want to add some tags that forums really quite honestly need. Here are the ones I have:

(format is usage and then replacement and then usage)
{SIMPLETEXT}
<center>{SIMPLETEXT}</center>
adasaf
[spoiler = "{INTTEXT}"]{TEXT}[/spoiler]
<dl class="codebox"><dt><a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="var el = this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('dd')[0]; var v = el.style.display != 'none'; el.style.display = v ? 'none' : 'block'; this.innerHTML = (v ? '[+]' : '[−]') + ' {INTTEXT}'; ">[+] {INTTEXT}</a></dt><dd style="display: none;">{TEXT}</dd></dl>
Hidden text: [spoiler="Title"]Hidden text[/spoiler]

{TEXT}
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">{TEXT}</span>
strikethrough text

[youtube]{SIMPLETEXT}[/youtube]
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/{SIMPLETEXT}?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(That's the stuff that comes after ?v=)

This next one is a little slow so I advise you make it admin only for showing off the game's soundtrack:

<object height="81" width="100%"><param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... ram><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url={URL}&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed></object>

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/neon_2/ this is a fantastic and simplistic theme if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh and if you need help with modding phpbb I've toyed with it a bit and made an account verification script for logging into games with, and a highscore board that displays the scores on a user's profile.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by James » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for all the info! OK, I got the registration changed to a question instead of captcha, thanks for the heads up on that!

Where do you paste in those tags?

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Admin control panel > Posting > BBCodes

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm

OK, think I got it all! Just got the styling updated, hopefully a bit more readable now. Also, I added the tags you suggested as well, not sure if they work?

Linkshot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Linkshot » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Go back to Puzzle Monsters, poe.

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 pm

They work but I forgot to tell you to check off the display on posting page option. That will make it display.
But yeah they work
Also you can enable quick reply if you change the board settings for individual forums. Not sure if you want that but it's a nice option.

Damn you Linkshot! Stop liking games I like!

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Wait, we can't edit posts now? Also the new style looks really nice :)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Ok done, they should show up now. What's it say when you try to edit your post?? I can edit mine, but maybe its an admin only option now?

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm

I can't physically find the button for it anymore.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... c_title_2/ this is also pretty necessary. You may have noticed that the latest post only shows the users, but this adds the topic into that :)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Weird, I can see it on posts, it says Edit in red in the top right corner, next to the delete (X) button. I'll check out that link.