Favorite NES game

For any off-topic discussions
Alfonso
Supporter
Supporter

Favorite NES game

Post by Alfonso » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 am

Pick only one (humor yourself and just pick one) and give two sentences as to why you like it best.

Title: Adventures of Lolo 3.

Reason: There's nothing like solving a puzzle and feeling like the king of the world, only to do it again and again. Also using everything programmed into the game to overcome an obstacle made the game mechanics worth learning.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Favorite NES game

Post by James » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:13 am

I need to play that one! I think my all time favorite would have to be The Legend of Zelda, but there's so many great others like Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Contra, and Super Mario bros.

Rabble
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Rabble » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I would have to say RollerGames. This game had it all. I mean a Streets of Rage beat em up on skates? Who could resist?!?

dasefx
Supporter
Supporter

Post by dasefx » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Link (Zelda 2) is still probably my favourite game. I know a lot of people weren't happy with the side scrolling aspect but for me it was the perfect combination: large over-world with amazing exploration and awesome 2d side scrolling dungeons.

Rabble
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Rabble » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:33 pm

dasefx wrote:Link (Zelda 2) is still probably my favourite game. I know a lot of people weren't happy with the side scrolling aspect but for me it was the perfect combination: large over-world with amazing exploration and awesome 2d side scrolling dungeons.
Nice, that was my second choice! That game had all the best elements. And it was a damn challenge too!

inclining
Supporter
Supporter

Post by inclining » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:34 pm

It's really hard to pick only one favorite NES game... but I guess that's the point of the thread :)

I think I'd have to go with Final Fantasy. Everyone's heard of that one, but it was pretty influential for me. At the time I played that, I'd only been exposed to a precious few other RPGs (Wasteland and Bard's Tale, chiefly), and its job system and generic characters reminded me of those. You created characters based on skills you wanted, and then experienced a story through your own eyes, rather than later installments which gave you detailed characters to play as. The replayability was high due to different party combinations. I remember spending lots of time trying things like parties of four mages, just for fun. Of course, as everyone now knows, the music and ideas in that series were pure gold, and by the time FF4 came to the US on as FF2 on the SNES, I was utterly hooked.

My honorable mentions (so hard to narrow this down!!!) go to Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Castlevania 2, Faxanadu, Contra, Mega Man 2, Dragon Warrior, Ninja Gaiden, StarTropics, and Super Mario Bros 3.

Also, Silver Surfer for NES was a terrible game, but had fantastic music.
Visit Chasm on Reddit! http://www.reddit.com/r/chasm/

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:05 pm

I have to give Double Dragon 2 a mention also, I loved that game :D

Lunais
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lunais » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:38 am

Little Nemo: The Dream Master

:D

Alfonso
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Alfonso » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 am

Rabble wrote:
dasefx wrote:Link (Zelda 2) is still probably my favourite game. I know a lot of people weren't happy with the side scrolling aspect but for me it was the perfect combination: large over-world with amazing exploration and awesome 2d side scrolling dungeons.
Nice, that was my second choice! That game had all the best elements. And it was a damn challenge too!
First Zelda game I played, and still my favorite in the series.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:39 am

Anticipation!

... Well okay maybe not, plus I found that game way after the NES era.

Snake, Rattle, and Roll was a personal favorite. RC Pro AM, Bubble Bobble, Super Mario Bros 3. I played SMB3 during the time frame I had my tetanus shot, lol.