Favorite NES game

For any off-topic discussions
ErekT
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Favorite NES game

Post by ErekT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Shatterhand I think. Great music and pixelart. Lovely stuff!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 pm

ErekT wrote:Shatterhand I think. Great music and pixelart. Lovely stuff!
Been playing Shatterhand a lot lately, quickly became one of my favorite NES platformers. Still trying to figure out all the damn combinations for the upgrade weapons. I will also throw the amazing Dragon Fighter into the mix, wish I had those two as a kid :(
elektriccobra wrote:Metroid. but given we are all here because of that game or the predecessors ill have to go with C2 Simon's Quest.
no.. make that 3 Dracula's Curse. -at lease that should win for music!

then again, in 4th grade i got the nintendo power featuring megaman 2. i fell in love.

nevermind, im goin with Metroid.
The only NES Castlevania I played as a kid was 2, so it definitely has a special place in my heart. It's just frustrating how shitty some of the translation is :/

Mega Man 2 is definitely in my top 5 NES games.

handsomefatman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by handsomefatman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 am

Way too many to count. If I had to narrow it down to just three, out of dozens, it'd be some combination of a Mega Man game (either 2 or 4), something by Natsume (Shatterhand), and something by Nintendo (either SMB3 or Kirby's Adventure).

EDIT - Eep, I just now noticed the last post date. If thread necroing is frowned upon here, apologies.
http://AnimeRave.xyz — The best anime review/reaction show on the internet!

Paul Al

Post by Paul Al » Tue May 16, 2017 4:18 am

My favorites are definitely Super Mario World and The Legend Of Zelda. But I found NES roms for free https://romsmania.com/roms/nintendo . It's emulator on PC. And very good, to be honest, I do not need a console, and the graphics are enough to enjoy the game.
:) :) :) :)

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Zelda 2 is also my favorite. I thought the attack-block mechanic was really clever and fun, even if it often devolved into repeatedly attacking knights until the ai decided to not block it. Mostly I really liked the challenge compared to other Zelda games.

So many honorable mentions (including Astynax) but I won't post them all.

Instead I'll just mention Bionic Commando. The whole grappling hook thing was amazing and the first game I ever played that had one.

Another unpopular opinion here, but I just didn't like Metroid. Spent too much of the game getting stuck and shooting at every wall in sight. I am grateful to it for spawning modern (and SNES era obviously) metroidvanias, but I just couldn't get into the game itself. Kind of like original Star Trek. Old Castlevanias were great though.

edit: Oh and SMB2. I thought that game was amazing! Pick up enemies and throw them at each other! Play as Princess! I never did understand why it was essentially the least popular of the series.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm

SMB2 and Bionic Commando were a couple of my childhood favorites. The slot machine in the tavern is inspired by the one in SMB2 if you didn't catch that yet. And I actually had a bionic style grappling hook in Chasm at one point, but it just didnt work that well.

handsomefatman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by handsomefatman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Seeing Zelda 2 and SMB 2 love warms my heart. <3
http://AnimeRave.xyz — The best anime review/reaction show on the internet!