Adding rooms

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Batstabber
Supporter
Supporter

Adding rooms

Post by Batstabber » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:20 am

In the interview with Retronauts, you talked about adding more rooms to the game for greater variety. When you get around to doing so,
would you consider bringing back some of the tougher platforming challenges from the Alpha, even if it's just for the harder difficulties?
A few additional underwater sections where you actually get to do stuff (like navigating around spikes or those rotating blades that got cut)
would be appreciated as well.
"It was a mistake... We should've never opened those tunnels!
The mountain is rife with ruins and the vengeful history that dwells within them!"

- Pilus "Bogbrain" Boggs

SaberX

Re: Adding rooms

Post by SaberX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:59 pm

I agree with the underwater section. I feel like is this a part very little explored. Perhaps the underwater mechanic could be tuned as well so it would be more interesting to explore? Or even battle.

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Batstabber wrote: would you consider bringing back some of the tougher platforming challenges from the Alpha, even if it's just for the harder difficulties?
A few additional underwater sections where you actually get to do stuff (like navigating around spikes or those rotating blades that got cut)
would be appreciated as well.
I actually just posted about this as well haha. Yeah more under water rooms would be really cool man. I also agree w/ harder platforming challenges for the harder modes if that's possible. Good ideas.
SaberX wrote:Or even battle.
Yeah this would be dope too. Under water battle? Sign me up.

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 am

I think some harder platforming for harder modes would be great. There are a few tough challenges with wall jumping but other than that the platforming is pretty tame. I really liked the platforming that lead up to the slide in the alpha for instance.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm

The platforming challenges are definitely a divisive thing. Someone just left us an angry comment about how the game turns into precision jumping on blocks, and others like yourself want more. I tried my best to keep things a healthy mix without going too extreme, but I also wouldn't mind some more stuff like that. I commented in the other thread I'll be adding some more water rooms, and we're looking into some alternative game modes I think those tough-as-nails platforming rooms could be right at home at ;)

Batstabber
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Batstabber » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 am

You're talking about Arcade mode, right? I've got a few ideas for that myself, including a return of the Scavenger NPC and something that resembles persistent progress...

And please, don't listen to those whiners on the Steam forums. While some of their critique is indeed valid, most of it seems to stem from expecting a wholly different kind of game.
The mountain is rife with ruins and the vengeful history that dwells within them!"

- Pilus "Bogbrain" Boggs

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:59 pm

I am indeed referring to Arcade mode, and the Scavenger is already in it! You can run into him randomly and his inventory is constantly changing.

Interested to hear what your thoughts are on persistent progress! I've also been thinking about a Roguelike mode that may work better in..

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:12 pm

James wrote:I am indeed referring to Arcade mode, and the Scavenger is already in it! You can run into him randomly and his inventory is constantly changing.

Okay so he does still exist, just in another mode? How do I play arcade mode..? I miss that old bastard!
James wrote:I've also been thinking about a Roguelike mode that may work better in..

Um... HELL YEAH!!

You know it might just be the perfect mode to test random artifacts with. Of course the criteria related rooms (dash,ledge grab, etc) would have to be tweaked to work with other artifacts or progression would be broken lol. Like how in alpha you needed Double Jump from the keep to get to the end of the Gardens, but now you need the Shin Guards instead. You could just swap that kind of stuff around.

If it's too much of a hassle though, seriously don't bother. I realize this is asking a lot :lol: Sorry.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Arcade is still in progress, we've got a little ways to go on it before it can be considered playable but its starting to come together.

The biggest problems with the powerups isnt the gates, but the areas they're required in to move through (ie. the Catacombs heavily relies on Ledge Grab to get around).

Batstabber
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Batstabber » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am

Well, my idea is rather simple: Persistent progress in Arcade mode would be dependent on two things; the items you find in the depths and the money you collect during a given run. Any item found in a chest (which would include the stuff normally only available from vendors, even spells and potions) is added to the respective vendor's inventory and can then be bought right at the start on subsequent runs, albeit at inflated prices. Money collected would be transferred to a "bank" (or secret stash if you're Duncan), accumulating over multiple runs and enabling you to upgrade your starting gear this way.

Items gotten as drops from enemies or bought from the Scavenger (who'd only trade for gems and ore) would have to be found again, though.

I've also thought about a possible return of Trinkets for Arcade mode, the incentive for collecting them being small but permanent stat boosts.

- Pilus "Bogbrain" Boggs