Bestiary and other suggestions

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
SaberX

Bestiary and other suggestions

Post by SaberX » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Heya

I played the game(and beat it) for quite a time now and would like to give some suggestions.

Bestiary-

Instead of the solo monster view, my idea is to transform in some kind of book. Every page would have like 6~8 monsters, with just the name of monster and a little icon(monster symbol or a lock). Once you find the name of the monster, just press action button and he will direct you to the current detailed version of bestiary. If you cant find the monster, you can press L/R to turn to the next page with the next bunch of monsters.

Weapon balance-

How about make a good damage gap between weapons? Heavy and slower ones should have way more damage than the fast ones. I spend my entire game using swords...I dont feel any advantage to change to a mace or a hammer.

Buying stuff-

Probably already suggested...but why limiting the number of potions and other things you can buy? For instance, once I buy all the miner ingots he becomes an useless NPC.

Rework the roulette guy-

No offense, but this guy is straight up stupid. How do you find a npc that gives you bad stats? Whats the purpose of that? Whats the purpose of hard plataforming, surviving monsters just to find the npc, using the roulette and receiving a poison?
My suggestion is to take away stupid negative debuffs and punishing prizes. Just make him give you 1 RANDOM ATTRIBUTE. Nothing more or less.

Quests-
Why some npcs cant have more tasks? Like the hunting npc?

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bestiary and other suggestions

Post by DarkLordSen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:11 pm

SaberX wrote: Rework the roulette guy-

No offense, but this guy is straight up stupid. How do you find a npc that gives you bad stats? Whats the purpose of that? Whats the purpose of hard plataforming, surviving monsters just to find the npc, using the roulette and receiving a poison?
My suggestion is to take away stupid negative debuffs and punishing prizes. Just make him give you 1 RANDOM ATTRIBUTE. Nothing more or less.
Where I am partially impartial to your other requests, this, I wholeheartedly disagree with. You have not played enough if you honestly feel like Mr. Spinner is in any way, shape, or form unfair. Spin at your own risk, if you're greedy enough to chance it. Get punished if you spin wrong, get buffed if you spin correctly. I personally have over 100+ hours and have had countless encounters with this NPC to know that he's very fair. Even the last 4 runs I ended up with almost nothing but buffs from this NPC. Your luck may be bad, but the NPC does not need to change.

SaberX

Post by SaberX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:12 am

DarkLordSen wrote:
SaberX wrote: Rework the roulette guy-

Where I am partially impartial to your other requests, this, I wholeheartedly disagree with. You have not played enough if you honestly feel like Mr. Spinner is in any way, shape, or form unfair. Spin at your own risk, if you're greedy enough to chance it. Get punished if you spin wrong, get buffed if you spin correctly. I personally have over 100+ hours and have had countless encounters with this NPC to know that he's very fair. Even the last 4 runs I ended up with almost nothing but buffs from this NPC. Your luck may be bad, but the NPC does not need to change.
"Spin at your own risk"? What does that even mean?
A player can basically reload to their last save and spin to get better results. Whats the point of this? Your luck may be good, but it does not mean the NPC is good. The problem with that is that the NPC is found inside the dungeons, after facing cheap plataforming and monsters. Have you ever played Castlevania games? Players should be rewarded for exploring the game, not be punished.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The Showman is actually a backer's reward (he wanted to do status effect roulette). As far as I know he's never hard to reach and optional, so it's up to the player if they'd like to participate. Regarding the Great Weapons, I just upped the damage a bit on 1.031, if you get a chance to check that out please let me know if it feels any better. I'll continue tweaking it until it hits the sweet spot. We'll probably be adding more quests coming up, and I'll think about the limits on the items.

SaberX

Post by SaberX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 pm

James wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The Showman is actually a backer's reward (he wanted to do status effect roulette). As far as I know he's never hard to reach and optional, so it's up to the player if they'd like to participate. Regarding the Great Weapons, I just upped the damage a bit on 1.031, if you get a chance to check that out please let me know if it feels any better. I'll continue tweaking it until it hits the sweet spot. We'll probably be adding more quests coming up, and I'll think about the limits on the items.

I want to thank you for your answer. Its good to know you guys want read some feedback and I really appreciate.

As for the weapons I played recently(I played with the update version before creating a thread) and as I said, I didnt notice much of difference switching weapons. Sword still better weapons in dps overall. I feel like no reason to change weapons. For the sake of weapons, take Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for instance. I played Dawn of Sorrow and the game really incentive the use of heavy weapons for their damage, which compesates the low attack speed.

As for roulette once again I don't see ANY reason for a npc to give you negative buffs/effects. Seems very against the very nature of the game rewarding you.

Once again, I thank you for reading.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 am

We just added a new test object recently to help balance DPS on the spells that I will try out on the melee weapons. It should help tune things a little better seeing realtime calculations. And no problem, our pleasure!

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm

SaberX wrote: "Spin at your own risk"? What does that even mean?
Means it's optional. At the chance to win you risk losing. Pretty simple no?
SaberX wrote:A player can basically reload to their last save and spin to get better results Whats the point of this?

If the player wants to try and cheat the system by reloading their save file, then sure, I guess you could say "that specifically" could be addressed with an auto save after you spin. Quitting and reloading would put you at the previous checkpoint with the NPC now being gone. So yeah that's probably going to be fixed in the future.

You can also reload with the slot machine, but honestly if you're spend your time reloading save files to break the game you're not really "trying" to play.
SaberX wrote:Your luck may be good, but it does not mean the NPC is good.
So you think you should only get rewards because you had to kill a few enemies and do some platforming? If all we ever got were nothing but bonuses how would the game be a challenge? Life throws random problems at us left and right, imo this is what makes some of the best games ever made worth playing.
SaberX wrote:The problem with that is that the NPC is found inside the dungeons, after facing cheap platforming and monsters.
As he should be. Cheap platforming? I personally enjoy the platforming quite a bit.
SaberX wrote:Have you ever played Castlevania games? Players should be rewarded for exploring the game, not be punished.
LOL this is funny. Obviously I've played many Castlevania games in my time. Do you even remember how punishing those games are? I wonder which ones you played because if you're referring to Rondo or SotN you're sadly mistaken if you think those games were not punishing.

Rewards are something better earned imo. Chasm rewards you when you earn it and even at times with random drops when you least expect it. Illusory walls and hidden rooms filled with loot. Treasure shrines that boost your gold drop rate through the roof. Seriously you're complaining to the wrong guy if you think this game doesn't reward you for fighting your way through the hoard.

The Wheel of Misfortune NPC has yielded amazing buffs for me PLENTY of times. Greed my friend, is a slow and insidious killer. Think about it.

SaberX

Post by SaberX » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Means it's optional. At the chance to win you risk losing. Pretty simple no?
Inside a dungeon? Where you have to find it and beat monsters? Lmao dude, what about make random boxes with damage traps too?
If the player wants to try and cheat the system by reloading their save file, then sure, I guess you could say "that specifically" could be addressed with an auto save after you spin. Quitting and reloading would put you at the previous checkpoint with the NPC now being gone. So yeah that's probably going to be fixed in the future.
Thats just stupid idea, no offense.The npc is faulty and instead of you acknowlege the problem youre going with the excuse of "well, it doesnt happened to me so its fine". My point, in case you havent understand, is that no one in their healthy mind would accept receiving a lost in stats if they spin the roulette. So why have it?
So you think you should only get rewards because you had to kill a few enemies and do some platforming?
Thats the idea. I'm gonna assume you never played castlevania games.
If all we ever got were nothing but bonuses how would the game be a challenge?
The challenge is facing enemies, risking progressing through traps and plataforming(losing health in the process). Gambling has nothing to do with challenge lol
Life throws random problems at us left and right, imo this is what makes some of the best games ever made worth playing.
With that way of thinking comes bad concepts.
Cheap platforming? I personally enjoy the platforming quite a bit.
You enjoy plataforming with the 70% of poison traps the game has?
LOL this is funny. Obviously I've played many Castlevania games in my time.
Your posts lacks any type of Castlevania knowledge lol
Do you even remember how punishing those games are?
Yup. With big punishments comes great rewards. Thats what we call progression. Its pretty much like an incentive.
I wonder which ones you played because if you're referring to Rondo or SotN you're sadly mistaken if you think those games were not punishing.
I played HoD, AoS, CoM, DoS, PoR and OoE. All have better progression, rewarding exploration and better saving points position. AoS and DoS are the mainly ones, as they make good use of different weapons.
Chasm rewards you when you earn it and even at times with random drops when you least expect it. Illusory walls and hidden rooms filled with loot.

Dude, do you really played the game? There are situations in the game where the room is either empty or a box contains 2 bags of 10 gold.
Treasure shrines that boost your gold drop rate through the roof. Seriously you're complaining to the wrong guy if you think this game doesn't reward you for fighting your way through the hoard.
Shrines should be a boost, not a necessity lol

The Wheel of Misfortune NPC has yielded amazing buffs for me PLENTY of times. Greed my friend, is a slow and insidious killer. Think about it.

Its a bad concept. No one wants to explore and face a npc just to have a chance to lost stats. Your argument is pretty terrible...is just like having a hole in a street and since you didnt fell on it you're fine with it.
I really recommend you to play Castlevania games.

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 pm

You know for "nobody wants to blah blah blah ect. Castlevania meh" you seem to be the only one complaining about an optional NPC. You're entitled to your opinion, but it baffles me that you some how fail to see how unrewarding and irritating many of the Castlevania games are. That being said this is NOT Castlevania.

Honestly though it just sounds like you did a single run and had bad luck. Let me know when you make a better metroid-vania though. I'm dying to play your idea of a good game. :lol:

Matter of fact. Just come watch me do a Nightmare run and you might learn something. ;) twitch.tv/darklordsen

SaberX

Post by SaberX » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm

DarkLordSen wrote:You know for "nobody wants to blah blah blah ect. Castlevania meh" you seem to be the only one complaining about an optional NPC. You're entitled to your opinion, but it baffles me that you some how fail to see how unrewarding and irritating many of the Castlevania games are. That being said this is NOT Castlevania.

Honestly though it just sounds like you did a single run and had bad luck. Let me know when you make a better metroid-vania though. I'm dying to play your idea of a good game. :lol:

Matter of fact. Just come watch me do a Nightmare run and you might learn something. ;) twitch.tv/darklordsen

I'm here to give them my honest feedback, not licking boots like you. First you need to wonder why this game wasnt that well received before brown nosing just because you support it. Spare me the lame post without even a good argument and go play some Castlevania games in the meantime. Its never too late to play Castlevania games for the first time.

If you already done wasting time just because you disagree, then move on.