Is wall jumping too difficult?

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
carrotton

Is wall jumping too difficult?

Post by carrotton » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:48 pm

I had a heck of time completing some sections of the game that required wall jumping between saw blades and also spike traps. It felt like it was less about skill and more about fighting the controls.

After playing the excellent Hollow Knight and the super easy wall jumping mechanic there, Chasm was pretty hard to adjust to. Hollow Knight, and the New Super Mario Bros. games, and even Ninja Gaiden on NES had much easier wall jumping. I don't think I've had such a problem with this mechanic since maybe Super Metroid (though I'd say that was still easier).

I think ideally, I'd more or less want to just tap the jump button any time the hero makes contact with a wall in order to spring away from it. It feels like the delay before you're able to wall jump is too great.

Did anyone else have difficulty with this?

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Is wall jumping too difficult?

Post by Lailoken » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Oh god the wall jumping in Ninja Gaiden...

As far as Chasm goes. I didn't really have the same problem, although many others have complained so you are not alone.

i did have 2 other problems though. The first is fixed, but it was an issue where you slide down the top of a ledge before grabbing it, allowing you to accidentally wall jump off of it when you clearly wanted to grab the ledge. The second is that there is a slight delay between wall jump and when you can double jump, making it a bit tricky to climb walls in a narrow space if you press jump too soon.

handsomefatman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by handsomefatman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:44 am

It may not feel the same as a 2D Mario but it certainly does not feel bad. Adjust to the jump timing and thread those sawblade-laced needles!

There is *one* issue: if you're hanging on a ledge and tap down+jump to let go, you'll wall jump every time.
http://AnimeRave.xyz — The best anime review/reaction show on the internet!

SaberX

Post by SaberX » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Yeah, it never felt smoth during my entire gameplay.

Everytime I think about wall jump, I somehow thing about Circle of Moon. It wasn't the best, but once you press the button it already did its job(simply press the button next to the wall and it already executes a wall jump). I never had problem with wall jump in Circle of Moon.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback all, I'll be looking into some walljump tweaks coming up again soon. The one I definitely want to fix is when you overshoot a ledge grab and jump backwards. That one is frustrating and shouldn't be too hard of a fix. I'll check out Circle of the Moon as well.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:40 am

Dear all =)

The wall jump got me to quiz the game. I spend 10 minutes trying to jump a wall in the Keep, and then quit. It was just too difficult, and took all the fun out of the game.

Would it be difficult to make wall jumps "snap to the opposite wall", so the character wants to wall jump rather fighting it?

Ideally the wall jump shouldn't require any timing, but rather:

* hold jump down to grep current wall.
* while holding jump press right, to wall jump to right wall, and snap to it.

Would this be hard to implement?

Hugs,
Sandra =)

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:57 pm

It's really just a matter of timing. I know it sounds a bit silly to those used to a game like Megaman X, but the wall jump just doesn't work that way.

In X as soon as you touch a wall you're able to jump off of it. In Chasm you need to wait about a half second before your character goes into a "wall jump safe" state. I too have personally have issues with it but with a good bit of practice you kind of get the hang of it.

I believe it has been adjusted already but it could need some tweaking. The main issue people are having is pressing jump too soon and just falling off the wall. That imo shouldn't be possible.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:09 pm

DarkLordSen wrote:In X as soon as you touch a wall you're able to jump off of it. In Chasm you need to wait about a half second before your character goes into a "wall jump safe" state. I too have personally have issues with it but with a good bit of practice you kind of get the hang of it.
You don't need to be touching the wall or in a certain state to do a walljump. If you're within 5-6px of the wall, you just tap the direction towards the wall and press jump simultaneously, and it should perform it. I'm thinking the problem might be that people are trying to use the d-pad to steer rather than letting the jump bounce them back, or possibly even pressing the direction on the d-pad too late after hitting jump. I'm trying not to make any changes until I know whats causing issues so I don't make it worse by accident :)
Attachments
walljump.gif
walljump.gif (646.62 KiB) Viewed 18185 times

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 am

I gave it another attempt this weekend, and got the parasuit, and now it is really bad. Try getting up the tall well by the combination lock. Now the wall jump mechanic kicks in constantly when you don't want to.

When wanting to do a wall jump the parasuit is triggered, making wall jump even more impossible.

Trying to get out of acid water is a nightmare, as when you reach the end, he will wall jump back into the acid water rather than out.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Sandra wrote:I gave it another attempt this weekend, and got the parasuit, and now it is really bad. Try getting up the tall well by the combination lock. Now the wall jump mechanic kicks in constantly when you don't want to.

When wanting to do a wall jump the parasuit is triggered, making wall jump even more impossible.

Trying to get out of acid water is a nightmare, as when you reach the end, he will wall jump back into the acid water rather than out.
Which platform/version are you playing on?