Is wall jumping too difficult?

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Is wall jumping too difficult?

Post by DarkLordSen » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 pm

James wrote: If you're within 5-6px of the wall, you just tap the direction towards the wall and press jump simultaneously, and it should perform it.
This seems to be the main issue then. I think what players are doing is just expecting the jump button to be the only input. The d pad or analog stick must be getting pushed in the wrong direction. Would there be a way to make it so you don't have to tap in the direction of the wall in order to perform the wall jump? Like just make it the jump button by itself?

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:20 am

James wrote:
Sandra wrote:I gave it another attempt this weekend, and got the parasuit, and now it is really bad. Try getting up the tall well by the combination lock. Now the wall jump mechanic kicks in constantly when you don't want to.

When wanting to do a wall jump the parasuit is triggered, making wall jump even more impossible.

Trying to get out of acid water is a nightmare, as when you reach the end, he will wall jump back into the acid water rather than out.
Which platform/version are you playing on?
On Windows with 1.03.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:24 am

DarkLordSen wrote:
James wrote: If you're within 5-6px of the wall, you just tap the direction towards the wall and press jump simultaneously, and it should perform it.
This seems to be the main issue then. I think what players are doing is just expecting the jump button to be the only input. The d pad or analog stick must be getting pushed in the wrong direction. Would there be a way to make it so you don't have to tap in the direction of the wall in order to perform the wall jump? Like just make it the jump button by itself?
That would be much welcomed =)

Personally I like the Steam World Dig 2 controls, where each action have its own button. That way wall jump would be it own button, jump another, parasuit another and so on.

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:06 am

DarkLordSen wrote:Would there be a way to make it so you don't have to tap in the direction of the wall in order to perform the wall jump? Like just make it the jump button by itself?
That sounds really terrible. What if you need to jump double jump or parachute while next to a wall? Pressing against the wall feels natural to me and is what I am used to from games like Megaman X. Really any wall jump I can think of other than super metroid, but I am sure there are more.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Sandra wrote:On Windows with 1.03.
Oh ok, I'm guessing you're using the DRM-free version then? The Parachute was moved to the Backdash button in 1.031 to fix that problem, we'll get a DRM-free update out soon.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 am

James wrote:
Sandra wrote:On Windows with 1.03.
Oh ok, I'm guessing you're using the DRM-free version then? The Parachute was moved to the Backdash button in 1.031 to fix that problem, we'll get a DRM-free update out soon.
Exactly =)

Very nice. That will certainly help a lot =)

What about the issue of the wall jump being triggered when jumping out of acid water?

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 am

Lailoken wrote:
DarkLordSen wrote:Would there be a way to make it so you don't have to tap in the direction of the wall in order to perform the wall jump? Like just make it the jump button by itself?
That sounds really terrible. What if you need to jump double jump or parachute while next to a wall? Pressing against the wall feels natural to me and is what I am used to from games like Megaman X. Really any wall jump I can think of other than super metroid, but I am sure there are more.

Terrible? That's literally how Megaman X works. Holding the directional pad in X does not govern the ability to jump off the wall. The jump button does. Holding only makes you slide. Which is fine, but it shouldn't be a required input to jump off of a wall.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:16 pm

I've made 2 changes to walljumping for the next patch:

- More leniency on the d-pad direction being pressed. I think some are over-anticipating the direction change and letting off the d-pad just before pressing the jump button, so I've added an allowance of a few frames before jump is pressed.
- Upper and lower body collision checks for walljumps/wallsliding instead of just one around the midpoint. This was done to prevent the situation where you overshoot a ledge grab (top half of your body above the ledge) and accidentally walljump backwards. Wall Slides will also no longer be triggered until more of your body is in front of the wall.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 am

Thanks so much. Can't wait to try it out =)

NardsSteph

Post by NardsSteph » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am

Hi guys im new here how to jump in the wall? and how it is difficult?