Game Mods

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
DevouredSoul

Game Mods

Post by DevouredSoul » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 am

Hi,

this is my first post on bitkid games forums and I would like to say thank you for this great game!
A question to bitkidgames: how open are you to game mods? Would it be allowed to post and distribute mods?

Thank you!

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Game Mods

Post by James » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Welcome to the forums! And you're welcome! Yes, you can post mods here in the "Community Contributions" forum.

DevouredSoul

Post by DevouredSoul » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:13 am

James wrote:Welcome to the forums! And you're welcome! Yes, you can post mods here in the "Community Contributions" forum.
Great news! Thank you very much!

DevouredSoul

Post by DevouredSoul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi again!

I think a great additional benefit of the DRM free version of the game is that basically the game's source code comes with it for free. I've taken the chance to read and understand parts of its decompiled code and started modifying and adding debug functionality. Still, I am hoping there will be more interesting mods in the future (a new Metroid?) since it is possible to obtain the "source code" including the game's engine by decompiling the DRM free version.

One of the initial modifications I have successfully experimented with is changing the hotkey for the debug console, which by default is shown after pressing the "tilde" keyboard key. Unfortunately, there is a bug in the game which causes the debug console to not be shown on non-US keyboards. The patch i came up with now causes the debug console to show if the F10 key is pressed instead.

Another few patches re-enable internal debug functionality, such as the hidden command "gimme" which by default is unavailable (for a complete list of commands please see screenshot below).

One further modification causes the slot machine to open when the F9 key is pressed, no matter where the game's main character is currently located.

Then, there is a modification which visually highlights certain objects in the game and displays statistics and additional information in the top left border of the screen when pressing the F8 key.

Finally, I have implemented a custom console command "secrets" which prints solutions to randomly generated in-game puzzles.
chasm_mod.png
chasm_mod.png (197.26 KiB) Viewed 13519 times
Although these modifications have been implemented for testing purposes only, I am curious about how distributing more serious, mature modifications can be released without violating intellectual property laws etc. Any ideas?