Consider Revising the Climbing tool

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Hosankii

Consider Revising the Climbing tool

Post by Hosankii » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 pm

The climbing tool allows the character to slide down on the wall too much. In my opinion it should not slide down the wall at all. My first encounter of the Keep with it makes scaling it near impossible and I feel like it is a punish on the PS4 controller. Please remove the slide. Also it does not work well in sync with the spiked glove which I like. I find it flinging me backwards awkwardly when I was used to it holding on. They are a platform game breaker in my opinion.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Consider Revising the Climbing tool

Post by James » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi! Sorry for the frustration. Are you pushing d-pad/leftstick towards the wall when wall jumping or away?

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Hosankii wrote:The climbing tool allows the character to slide down on the wall too much. In my opinion it should not slide down the wall at all. My first encounter of the Keep with it makes scaling it near impossible and I feel like it is a punish on the PS4 controller. Please remove the slide. Also it does not work well in sync with the spiked glove which I like. I find it flinging me backwards awkwardly when I was used to it holding on. They are a platform game breaker in my opinion.
I disagree entirely. The slide functionality is essential in some cases so removing it would only hinder maneuverability. However the problem you're facing with the spiked glove is a bit of an issue. The problem is that if you aim for just the ledge (spiked gloves) the climbing gear does put you into a slide down animation automatically. Meaning if you tap jump a second time to jump up the cliff you will instead jump away. Without the climbing gear you never have to worry about going into slide so double tapping jump when climbing ledges comes naturally.

The proper solution for this issue is to remove the slide functionality from superseding the ledge grab functionality. It's a code issue.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm

I'll take a look at the order of operations. I thought the ledge grab had priority, but I might be mistaken.

Hosankii

Post by Hosankii » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:14 pm

James wrote:Hi! Sorry for the frustration. Are you pushing d-pad/leftstick towards the wall when wall jumping or away?
I push the d-pad/left-stick toward the wall when jumping away auto propel to the opposite wall. If I'm aiming for a ledge from a wall spot the contact stutters occasionally and I propel backward. This makes jumps that were simple before the climbing tool overlap with the spike glove awkwardly. I want to note that the cling gear tends to work how it is intended if a ledge is not involved.

I also noticed if you are in a spot sliding down a wall and to the floor the sprites legs seem to glitch through the floor. My immediate reaction is to jump back. I've not tried going through the floor in this manner yet to see if there is a deeper problem.

Thank you for your timely response. I'm really enjoying the game btw. It is hard to put it down.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 pm

OK I think I might see what's going on. Sorry, I always play a certain way and its hard to know what exactly you are doing without seeing it. if you have anyway of recording your screen that would definitely help a bunch. Glad to hear you're enjoying it otherwise :)

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 am

Ya i have noticed some platforming gets harder with the climbing gear too. I think if you hit a ledge with the bottom half of your body you start sliding down which is what usually gets me into trouble. The other issue is the embedded ledges. There is a little hiccup as some party of your body passes the gap. This second issue is less easy to sole but i was thinking you could either disable slide if there is anything grabbable beside your body, or eliminate the stutter when passing embedded ledges.

If i make it far enough with my mortal run tonight (currently In second area) I'll make some gifs.

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:22 am

I couldn't make gifs smaller than the itty bitty file size limit that had moving backgrounds so here are some images.

This first one shows sliding down against the top of a ledge. Pressing jump at this moment results in jumping away from the wall, when usually at this point you are hoping to hop up onto the ledge (after grabbing said ledge)
Attachments
grab-slide.PNG
grab-slide.PNG (198.61 KiB) Viewed 3646 times

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 am

This image shows the stutter I was talking about when sliding past embedded ledges. This pic was taken while I was pressing against the wall. Immediately after this period of not-sliding you start sliding again for a moment before grabbing the ledge. Pressing jump during the not-sliding portion of this results in nothing (or activates the parachute/flip)
Attachments
ledge-stutter.PNG
ledge-stutter.PNG (73.04 KiB) Viewed 3646 times

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:16 am

I fixed the stutter there with wall sliding through a ledge grab, will take a look at that jumping back from the ledge grab tomorrow. Thanks!