Suggestions after playing too much

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Arefirle

Suggestions after playing too much

Post by Arefirle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:20 am

Seriously, trying this setting after seeing it on Twitter ruined me for a bit:

Code: Select all

BossEnabled=0
Anyway, here's some things I wrote down as I thought about them whilst playing.

Monster AI
  • Currently it feels like onus is on you to stand still and wait for their event loop to run its course, whereas in something like Order of Ecclesia it felt like you had to be the one moving to avoid the monsters.
  • Bats look threatening the first time you encounter them, but their pattern is too easy once you just stand still, face left/right and swing/shoot at them.
Back-dashing

This is one move that I feel is iconic to (recent) Castlevania-alikes. I even find myself doing it (by way of running back and forth) with the crystal/jumping type enemies to get in position to hit them without being hit.

This would also provide a more reliable and less clumsy way of avoiding knife/spear hits from the Lizard type enemies.

Loot
  • I'd be in favour of having loot drop directly down from the boxes they are revealed from, this way you don't watch loot fall into spikes or off the screen.
  • Further, it might also solve the current possibility for coins and items to be stuck in walls/ceilings (particularly the sprites with a small overhanging wooden portion, with a curved rock section underneath), although that still happens from coins emerging from bats too I believe.
Knock-back

There's knock-back in the air, but none on the ground. This would add further pressure to platforming sections, and a fear you might actually die later on if you get hit by a bad chain of enemy attacks.

Power ups / Different backgrounds

Obviously this is just the demo, but I feel like this is worth mentioning. Double jumping adds quite a bit (in my opinion) in the way you can extend the platforming difficulty, and something like a quarter of the map being underwater (with an associated water breathing power up, or a breath mechanic or whatever) would be a nice way to break up the platforming/add in new enemies.

Great game so far, I envisage it occupying many hours of my future time when scratching the Castlevania itch.