Thoughts after a playthrough

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
hawkeye
Supporter
Supporter

Thoughts after a playthrough

Post by hawkeye » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

First off I want to say the demo looks awesome, and I know there are already a ton of improvements in the works. These are just some impressions after doing a complete run through floor 9 (I know most of those floors aren't balanced yet).

Elevation seems to play a big role in the challenge of a room, so it would be cool to see different move sets for weapons (high sweeps, low sweeps, etc.) That would give some niche uses for less powerful weapons with more varied move sets, similar to Dark Souls if you're familiar with that game.

I don't find myself checking my stats too much. Maybe including weapons/armor with stat requirements (strength based weapons, int based weapons, etc.) would enhance the rpg elements.

I'm a little confused about food items: why so many different kinds? There could be a cooking/crafting system to make different potions using ingredients. Also once I found the book of healing I never once used a food item. There seemed to be too many ways to heal.

Is any one else finding the scroll of reveal a little op? I ended up either buying or finding one for almost every floor, so it eliminated that sense of discovery and danger. They could be more expensive or a rarer drop.

And finally, the bats... their movement pattern is always centered on the player's position, so jumping to slash at them just causes them to fly higher out of reach. I could only kill them when they flew low enough in their flight pattern, so it became this waiting game. I would end up just running past them because waiting for them to fly down was just not worth the reward.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Thoughts after a playthrough

Post by James » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks, a lot of good feedback here to consider.

Ianuarius

Post by Ianuarius » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 am

About food items, I find that the more there are the more awesome the game feels like. Just putting it simple 0 and 1 terms sure it might not be useful, but it adds depth and atmosphere to the game, which to me is actually more important than just having a functioning system. It's like asking: "why do you have so many songs? one song would fill the background just fine."

hawkeye
Supporter
Supporter

Post by hawkeye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:01 am

About food items, I find that the more there are the more awesome the game feels like. Just putting it simple 0 and 1 terms sure it might not be useful, but it adds depth and atmosphere to the game, which to me is actually more important than just having a functioning system. It's like asking: "why do you have so many songs? one song would fill the background just fine."
That's a good point. I didn't mean for there to be only one healing method, it just felt a bit overwhelming as it is. I'm sure once more types of items are added the food won't seem so prevalent.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 pm

hawkeye wrote: And finally, the bats... their movement pattern is always centered on the player's position, so jumping to slash at them just causes them to fly higher out of reach. I could only kill them when they flew low enough in their flight pattern, so it became this waiting game. I would end up just running past them because waiting for them to fly down was just not worth the reward.
I actually really enjoy the bats. I feel like they add a sense of variety to the monstors and it's neat how there's different techniques for killing different monsters. The most it's ever taken to kill one for me is only around 20 seconds, so it doesn't really bother me at all. I guess some people just want to fight instantly as soon as they see a monster. :)