Non-360 Controller Usage

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
James
Developer
Developer

Re: Non-360 Controller Usage

Post by James » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 am

Can you dump what you have set up, and let me know exactly what's happening? Also, are you using the analog stick or-dpad on PS3 controller?

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:43 am

Hey,

I think native controller support should be possible, at least for windows. There may is a way of autodetecting ANY controller.

(On the code side, some Interfaces are needed to map both, the native and XBOX controller, without taking great care what type of controller/keyboard is in action now)

I will try it in a couple of days :)
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm on OS X 10.8.2 using the native PS3 controller support. It allows me to use it in game but R1 is mapped to A (the 360 controller button), triangle is mapped to B, circle is mapped to X, and X is mapped to Y. Start is right and the left analog stick works fine. R3 is left and L3 is down. Right opens the map and Up opens the inventory. I'm not sure if Left, Down, R2, L1, L2, and select do anything or which one of those is up.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 am

Oh geez, that's all screwy :D You might want to open the app package (right click, show contents) and look for PS3 controller file in there. I can't remember if it has the mappings in it or not? I don't have a mac in front of me, but I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Cheetah
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cheetah » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am

I had a similar problem with Super Meat boy with osx and a ps3 controller. I was able to remap some of the keys, but many of them just didn't work.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:59 pm

discordgames wrote:Oh geez, that's all screwy :D You might want to open the app package (right click, show contents) and look for PS3 controller file in there. I can't remember if it has the mappings in it or not? I don't have a mac in front of me, but I'll check it out as soon as I can.
Modifying 'PS3 Gamepad.xml' does nothing for me. I tried swapping the mappings for Button_A and Button_Y but R1 is still mapped to Button_A afterwards. I also figured out that Select is up.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:31 am

Haha, oh boy! OK I will look into it then. It may be possible to add custom mappings easily for gamepads but im not sure. The only other option i guess is to ignore the native support and use a keymapper. I'll let you know what I find!

YamoskraP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by YamoskraP » Sun May 12, 2013 1:37 pm

discordgames wrote:Haha, oh boy! OK I will look into it then. It may be possible to add custom mappings easily for gamepads but im not sure. The only other option i guess is to ignore the native support and use a keymapper. I'll let you know what I find!
Thank you. Please let us know when/if you make an update, because as is, I don't think I can play the demo =(
Also, congrats on funding, I really look forward to the full game! =)

flibitijibibo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by flibitijibibo » Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm

If you use MonoGame-SDL2 you should be able to get both configurable and automated controller support with MonoGameJoystick and SDL_GameController, respectively:

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/MonoGame

I suppose you'll want to keep using XNA for the Windows version, but this works there as well. SDL2 by default includes configurations for the 360 and PS3 controllers, and if you run the game through Steam it should automatically configure any controller if it's been configured through Big Picture mode.

If you want to keep using MS XNA but would rather use SDL2 gamepad support directly, SDL2# is here:

https://github.com/flibitijibibo/SDL2-CS

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Cool! How exactly do I integrate this with my project?