Saving Game

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
James
Developer
Developer

Re: Saving Game

Post by James » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Yea the big thing is the current state of the room you're in since its really just meant for save rooms. You definitely don't want to load back in the middle of a bunch of enemies :) We'll give it some thought.

Darxim

Post by Darxim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 am

James wrote:You definitely don't want to load back in the middle of a bunch of enemies
I don't think that's really an issue. I mean, if a player saves in the middle of combat, they know what they're in for when they load that save. If they aren't prepared to re-enter the game in active combat, they could just finish combat before saving.

CraigMcArthur

Post by CraigMcArthur » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 am

James wrote:Yea the big thing is the current state of the room you're in since its really just meant for save rooms. You definitely don't want to load back in the middle of a bunch of enemies :) We'll give it some thought.
It's fairly common to only enable quick-save/hibernation in any room where there are no enemies remaining. DarkSouls does something similar, if you try to sit at a bonfire with enemies around it says you need to kill them first..

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am

That would probably make it a lot easier to save the state if all the monsters were dead. Heck, you could even reset the state of the room they loaded into (and put the player back to where the entered it) although I think that would feel a little odd for the player. If you don't do that you still have to worry about players on moving platforms and such.

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm

CraigMcArthur wrote:
I'm suggesting "hibernation". You pause the game, quit, and when you resume; you pick up where you left off. If you die after that, you'd go back to your last save-point. A perfect example of this is Dark Souls. You can at almost any point. The only benefit is being able to walk away at a moment's notice. It's not a save-point. It's a save-state or hibernation.
In Dark Souls if you quit and reload enemies return to their spawn location. This has been used almost religiously in speed runs and such since the ps3 launch. It hands down virtually breaks the game. So I humbly disagree. The save points are carefully placed in order for you not to feel lost and hopeless and they do a great job of that when you know where to look. Trust me once you figure out the formula you'll understand. Just a few runs in and you'll feel like a boss.
CraigMcArthur wrote: Castlevania on Nintendo DS introduced it specifically to address battery availability. You might be further than battery health from going 15 minutes to a save room. I don't have a Vita, I don't know if it does a memory dump to hibernate itself, but it would be a really nice feature across all platforms.
This on the other hand is dope. I personally wanted to try a similar system with mobile checkpoints. It would function the same as a save point only the code would be attached to a scroll or potion which would give the player mobile freedom. I'd like to imagine it would cost quite a bit or require several materials to craft.

Maybe reduce the cost of the warp scroll to 250 and make the save scroll cost 500-750? In any case it sounds interesting. Honestly if you think about it the Chasm Beta already had this feature. It was the Canary that would carry you back to town. You could mess around with that idea again. I miss that mechanic haha. I also miss that random merchant that would be chillin with the bird, and the deer outside Karthas.. :cry: Bring back our friends! LOL