Press up to enter a doorway

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
gruevy
Supporter
Supporter

Press up to enter a doorway

Post by gruevy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm

You should be able to enter a doorway by pressing up on the controller or keyboard.

KevinS

Re: Press up to enter a doorway

Post by KevinS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 pm

gruevy wrote:You should be able to enter a doorway by pressing up on the controller or keyboard.
Yeah, I think that would definitely make things more fluid. Since entering a doorway is a type of movement it should be able to be controlled from the arrow keys. :D

Linkshot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Linkshot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am

Up, Down, and Interact are all safe doorway functions as there's no combat or platforming involved in those rooms.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

You could also make it so up allows you to talk to a person when standing directly in front of them. :D

kevinski
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kevinski » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 am

I like entering doors as it is now. Since others seem to prefer pressing up, though, maybe it'd be a good idea to give us a choice of pressing Up or some other button that's mapped on the controller.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 pm

I only held off on using up because I was considering using it as a secondary action of sorts. We'll be going back to the drawing board after the Kickstarter and revamping everything to make a bit more sense.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Good to hear. I am using the keyboard and have made frequent mistakes when navigating the menu trying to drop items and equip them etc. I imagine it's a little less fumbly with a controller but my mild dyslexia tends to fail horribly at this sort of thing 'now what button was what again?'

I'd be fine with a keyboard based control scheme using up to like, 12 keys + arrows for various things instead of limiting it to the same combined bindings as a game controller. (Granted controllers have 10 buttons plus dpad plus more)

Nagisawa

Post by Nagisawa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Another vote here for 'Up' to interact. UNLESS there's another function planned for it.

SilentN
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SilentN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm

I agree. As far as I can tell, so far there is no reason to have a separate button to interact with NPCs or the environment. Making it a separate button, instead of 'Up', bugs me while I'm playing. Once I enter the menu, I have to remember to switch to a button who's only purpose is selection within menus, instead of repurposing a button I'm already used to hitting.

That being said, I am having a great time playing the demo and can't wait to see the game further down the road!

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 am

I, for one, would like it better if Up is Jump. And that's how I usually play switching keys when it's possible and not inconvenient. :) I would actually prefer if Chasm had it that only two main keys (d,s?) are needed for most of the actions (combat and contestual interaction) and maybe holding space-bar + arrows is to look around!