The dodge move (Y-button dash) needs work

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
PurpleXVI
Supporter
Supporter

The dodge move (Y-button dash) needs work

Post by PurpleXVI » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:08 pm

The problem with it, and the reason I find it hard to find any use for it, is that it doesn't cancel out of animations, meaning you're still stuck in your cooldown animation or the middle of your attack animation when you need a fast dodge. When you're out of animation, just running or jumping usually works just as well, so there's really never any reason to use it.

If it let you "cancel out" of whatever you were currently doing, perhaps with a cooldown of its own of some sort to make it less easy to constantly slash-and-dash out of trouble, it would suddenly actually be handy for dodging things.

Batstabber
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The dodge move (Y-button dash) needs work

Post by Batstabber » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:17 am

The trick is to dash first, and then attack while dashing. It requires precise timing to hit anything with this maneuver, though, and there's no need to even try it with shorter weapons like knives and fists.
"It was a mistake... We should've never opened those tunnels!
The mountain is rife with ruins and the vengeful history that dwells within them!"

- Pilus "Bogbrain" Boggs

DarkLordSen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DarkLordSen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Batstabber wrote:The trick is to dash first, and then attack while dashing. It requires precise timing to hit anything with this maneuver, though, and there's no need to even try it with shorter weapons like knives and fists.
Not really a trick so much as just something you can do. I don't think it's an intentional design since you can't attack first then dash or dash then attack. You have to nearly press them at the same time but not exactly. I personally agree with the OP in that the attack/dash should cancel into each other as well as being able to cancel an attack into a magic attack.

I hope this gets updated in the future. As it stand this control scheme makes the game a bit harder than it should imho.

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Batstabber wrote:The trick is to dash first, and then attack while dashing. It requires precise timing to hit anything with this maneuver, though, and there's no need to even try it with shorter weapons like knives and fists.
Actually shorter weapons are better for this. Slow weapons with long reach barely work at all. The dagger is almost useless without this technique, and the swords are effective with it as well given their almost instant attack. The whip is really hard to still be in range with unless they are chasing you and it is even worse with the 2-handed overhand type of weapon.

I originally thought backdash was useless too, but this dash-attack technique is actually extremely effective sometimes whether this was intentional or not. The fact is, if you commit to an attack (assuming you didn't set up an animation cancel ahead of time) you are stuck finishing it no matter what. It seems very subjective whether this is good or not and I can definitely understand why people don't like it. Personally, I kinda like the challenge this adds.

Darxim

Post by Darxim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:37 pm

I could never get used to the backdash in Symphony of the Night, but in this game I've found it to be vital. There are many enemies with telegraphed attacks that I just can't optimally get away from in time without the backdash. I think that if you could attack and then cancel the recovery time by backdashing, backdash would be OP (it would also mostly remove the drawback of using slower weapons).

I didn't know you could attack while backdashing. I'm going to give that a try.