Stretch Goal Suggestions

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Stretch Goal Suggestions

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Suggestions for the game without being stretch goals:

1. New Game+ with multiplicative difficulty. A good story mode can go a long way towards replayability. (Depending on the complexity here, I could see it being a stretch goal.)
2. Boss Rush with a player level equalizer attached. Everyone is now Lvl 50. :P (Pretty easy to just chain the rooms together and temporarily make the player Lvl 50)
3. Arena - Part of the game as a sort of quest or mini-game awarding prizes. Also, a mode similar to Boss Rush with a level equalizer. (Something fun to do in the game without the threat of a true death for Hardcore, and a potentially easy thing to create compared to other tasks)
4. Basic infinite dungeon, slowly gaining various powerups but remaining a linear descent into the depths encountering the various terrains with slowly increasing progression limitations ensuring you explored enough to get the powerups. (Seems like it would be fairly easy to implement. Just restructure the level-generation algorithms and make sure each terrain type has basic rooms to go along with the ones that require special abilities)

(I think we're all agreed on those.)

5. "Classes" with restrictions through stat gain, gear options, etc. Sorcerer (Int favored, passive mana regen, banned from most weapons), Thief (Lck favored, banned from heavy weapons, high chance to gain rare items), Warrior (Str favored, banned from magic books, increased attack speed) (Very easy to implement as it just alters the stat gain and maybe flags items with a type that can then be equip-restricted)
6. Branching paths like Nethack would be a good approach for a semi-non-linear special-power-gaining storyline. On Mines Lvl 5, find the Ice Caverns. On Mines Lvl 10, find the Lizard's Den. On Lizard's Den Lvl 5, find the Volcanic Ruins. Each area needing some amount of backtracking so say, Mines Lvl 8 gives you the item to get past Ice Caverns Lvl 3. (I would much rather have the level generation algorithm set things up to give some backtracking rather than just descending into a bottomless pit. I found that part of Torchlight 1 to be very very boring as the only method of play)

Things that would make realistic stretch goals

1. Female Protagonist model sounds like a practical idea. (It's a very politically active feature. Seen it in the gaming news a lot these days. Genderswapping the main characters, etc.)
2. Customization for the player models, specifically in regards to hairstyles and hue edits. (Hairstyles would take extra animation for each different hair style, and hue edits would require an altered flexibility to the models as a whole)
3. Unique sprite models for the above mentioned "Classes". A Sorcerer/Sorceress would have a different look than a Thief. (Difficult to combine with 1+2.)
4. Chaos/glitch floors (standalone secret area or its own mode) - Full random floors that splice together the various tilesets and themes, or even single rooms that splice tiles and features in glitchy/chaotic/unnatural ways. (This idea is strictly for fun and lawls.)
4. Room creator / mod tools would be an interesting but challenging stretch goal. (I see positives and negatives to this. I almost feel like it would be better to have a fan-creation challenge where you approve a new set of rooms to add to the game as a DLC of freebie patch)
5. Multi-platform of course (3DS would be a fun fit for this game, though I could care less about the 3D aspects. Wii U lacks portability but provides an easier approach to map and menus.)
6. Remixes remixes remixes. Variety in dungeon crawling music would be fantastic. Instrumental shifts, tempo changes, etc. Every floor of the same area having the same music the whole area gets a little depressing after a while. And make sure there's some melody to these songs! Make music that sticks! :D We're talking retro here, it isn't background music, it's a melody!

PS: Hah. Werewolf transformation spell. I like that. It and other monster transformation abilities would be a fun gameplay approach for a 'Sorcerer'. :D

Aevumas

Post by Aevumas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 am

I think that some form of at least simple crafting should be in the game even if not stretched.

However, I think that a fine stretch goal would be in depth crafting.
Ex:
1 coal used to upgrade any gem.
Use 2-3 gems to purify, so 2 Diamond -> 1 cut Diamond; 2 refined Diamond -> 1 cut diamond; 2 cut diamond -> 1 pure diamond.
diamond + imperial sword = imperial sword (with colored rarity based on quality of diamond)

Book + 3 stone knife = book of blades

Grapes + Apple + Turkey leg = Healing Potion (reduce space at a slight cost)
Grapes + Banana + Chocolate = Mana Potion ('')

Edit: On the multiplayer I think having 2 players playing locally (2 controllers, keyboards, whichever) limited to the same room would be simple to implement and go along with the spirit of the game quite well. In fact, 2-4 would be okay too, but then you'd want to scale the loot drops.
Last edited by Aevumas on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ianuarius

Post by Ianuarius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 am

That gem hoarding was about the only part of Diablo that was really, really stupid. :lol: I guess some people liked it. 8-)

509dave16

Post by 509dave16 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Back to Town Mechanism Suggestions
-This mechanism is a godsend for those who get annoyed when they would like to store or sell their loot but have to backtrack in order to do so.
1) Have every floor contain a shaft to the surface, resulting in having to go through all the previous floors when going back down.
2)Portals/Shafts every so many floors that one can use to traverse back and forth between the mine and the town.
3)Use special item to a create portal for going from and returning back to the mine, when upon returning disappears.
Urgency Mechanism Suggestions
-This mechanism would be nice and similar things have been done in FTL:Faster Than Light(which I did beat after 10 hours of playthroughs)
1) Have a timer that ticks down until it hits 0 upon which the whole mountain collapses and the miners are lost.
2) Have a timer that ticks down and is increased every time you beat a boss.
3) Have a timer for a section of floors that you have to traverse through before that portion collapses. Thus not being able to traverse those floors again. But you are able to return to town and come back to the mine in the transition view modules between these sections of floors.

Zgoldenlion

Post by Zgoldenlion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Please consider ports for PS Vita or 3ds or any console really. I am a console gamer and am disappointed I won't get to play this game, I'd gladly contribute to kickstarter if you guys decide to port this on something I can play it on.

Linkshot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Linkshot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

But..you're using a computer to talk to us...so that means you can play Chasm.

WiiUchasm

Post by WiiUchasm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 am

A Wii U version would be great

Ianuarius

Post by Ianuarius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:48 am

The thing with ports is that you can't just throw money at companies and make the port happen. If Nintendo wants to have Chasm on WiiU I'm sure they'll do it no matter what the cost.

I think the guys are already planning on doing every possible port on Earth that don't require some executive's stamp of approval.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 am

Yea, we're doing what we can. Some talks have started, but still nothing really moving. We'd rather focus on some extra content since it won't cost us as much as a port regardless. The extra money would make production much more comfortable and hopefully less stressful, so I'd rather focus on that. Other thing is, we can always port to everything later. I'd rather focus on making the game awesome first, then worry about what its on. We'll see how things work out though.

jres80

Post by jres80 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:50 pm

eShop and PSN porting should be relatively simple. From what I hear, Nintendo has dropped a lot of requirements for indie developers.

I'd also like to throw in my voice on the female protagonist. It's a really nice option for our fellow gamers of the female persuasion.