Slight Control Changes

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
kevinski
Supporter
Supporter

Slight Control Changes

Post by kevinski » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:31 pm

You've mentioned on the Kickstarter comments page that you'll allow players to remap their controls in future versions of the game. Could you please allow us to remap the Cancel and Confirm buttons separately from the action controls, though? For example, here's my current button layout:

Code: Select all

o  Action
D Item  o   o  S Item
          o  Jump
Ideally, I'd be using the bottom (Jump) button to for Confirm in menus and the right (S Item) button for Cancel in menus. As it stands, though, I have to use the left (D Item) button for Confirm and the right (S Item) button for Cancel. It'd be awesome if we could remap the menu buttons separately (and to the same buttons that're already used on the action screen).

Also, would it be possible to have the Menu button NOT cause you to use your items while you're in the menu. I habitually press the Menu button to exit the menu, and I instead end up wasting an extra item. It'd be nice if only the Confirm button would use items in the menu, while pressing the Menu button would just bring up the menu or immediately exit it.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Slight Control Changes

Post by James » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Sounds good man! We still have a lot of work to do on these damn keyboard controls ><

KevinS

Post by KevinS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 pm

At first I didn't really like the keyboard controls, but once you get used to them they feel perfect. I spent 1 hour playing without stopping, and by the time I got to floor 10 I felt like I'd been using the controls my entire life. :D

kevinski
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kevinski » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 pm

KevinS wrote:At first I didn't really like the keyboard controls, but once you get used to them they feel perfect. I spent 1 hour playing without stopping, and by the time I got to floor 10 I felt like I'd been using the controls my entire life. :D
I've never been able to play platformers very well with a keyboard for some reason. Oddly, I can play fighting games better than platformers when it comes to using a keyboard.

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 pm

kevinski wrote:
KevinS wrote:At first I didn't really like the keyboard controls, but once you get used to them they feel perfect. I spent 1 hour playing without stopping, and by the time I got to floor 10 I felt like I'd been using the controls my entire life. :D
I've never been able to play platformers very well with a keyboard for some reason. Oddly, I can play fighting games better than platformers when it comes to using a keyboard.
Yeah a lot of genres feel better with certain control mechanics. I would never play a racing game with a keyboard :P

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

There's one thing i would like to add to this. I don't like how the confirmation of dropping an item is a different key than the instruction of dropping itself. I would like to press two times "Q" key to drop items, instead of first pressing "Q" key, then "A" key.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue May 20, 2014 4:00 am

Just a note, we have updated the keyboard controls so the Accept/Cancel use the same keys as jumping and using hands. Also, we moved the basic keys to Z (Jump), and X and C for left and right hands.