Improving the Troll

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Bryal
Supporter
Supporter

Improving the Troll

Post by Bryal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Just wanted to give a few opinions on the first boss. Unlike the Wendigo and Maggot, I find he has no qualities that make him unique and has little to no control of the pace during the fight. He's a bigger enemy that doesn't punish the player for getting in close and swinging away. Both latter bosses have moves that force the player to back off or go on the defensive. (Which tells me you know how to make boss battles but just didn't implement it into the troll yet ;) )

Just a few ideas, have him be immune to damage. Each attack bounces off him and knocks the player back. The only way to get an opening, is to dash and stun him for a brief moment so you can get some attacks in. When he gets to low health, he blocks is belly with his hand and/or club and the only way to stun him is to wait for his club to lift. This would give the first boss a little more personality and make him a much more interesting encounter!

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Improving the Troll

Post by James » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:02 pm

I like those ideas! The reason he's diferent though is that he's more a miniboss, a glorified enemy if you will. My goal if we have enough time is that every area has one guaranteed miniboss, and one random one that can show up as a challenge room :)

Bryal
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bryal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:22 pm

I was wondering about that! Because there isn't one in the catacombs yet I wasn't certain. I certainly don't mind having two bosses per area though. :mrgreen:

Will the optional bosses give unique items as well?

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Yea, I think he should have rare chance of dropping his club. Not sure if every boss will have specific item like that though :)