A suggestion if you will...

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
xeoneex
Supporter
Supporter

A suggestion if you will...

Post by xeoneex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:34 pm

... not sure if this is spoilers so I'll add a spoilers alert here

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, sooooo anyway, when you get the second power up in the catacombs, the ledge grip, you guys should tweak it as its very clunky and hard to maneuver. When you are clinging to the side of a ledge or platform and you attempt to jump the opposite direction of the ledge/platform you are holding off of, it tends to just drop me straight down instead of jumping in that direction. Maybe it's the xbox 360 controller I'm using? I don't know but its very hard to get used to this.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A suggestion if you will...

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 pm

Okay so it's not just me who has that issue happen sometimes in the new build... As a short-term workaround, completely let off the analog stick before attempting to jump again. If you do that every time, it will at least not randomly decide to drop you straight down.

I've mentioned this issue in detail to James over PM, and it wasn't something I had happen in .41

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Are you both using the thumbstick?

Xendhaius
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Xendhaius » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:50 am

I'm using a PS3 controller and I can confirm that using the analog sticks will cause this to happen due to how the controls are designed for slashing downward diagonally. It can be avoided if you pay closer attention to your inputs, though it is an issue.

I personally just use the D-Pad as it's far superior. Though that isn't an effective option for 360 controllers as their D-Pads are the worst I've ever had the misfortune of using.

I'm not sure how Discord can actually alleviate the issue though.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 am

I can guarantee that dropping down in my case is not a matter of accidentally holding 'down'. I was pressing almost completely upwards and was still experiencing the problem. I tried a wide range and encountered the issue about 50% of the time that I continued to hold whatever direction I was holding without returning to neutral when performing ledge grabs. I encountered the issue 0% of the time when I released the analog for a moment before inputting a new direction. I also did not encounter this in .41

I'm using an X360 (Onza, but same drivers) controller with the analog stick. My D-pad is made of individual ridged buttons and is totally NOT usable for Chasm. :P

xeoneex
Supporter
Supporter

Post by xeoneex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 am

I think it wouldn't be an issue if the deadzone was increased a bit more so that it isn't so touchy. I always had issues with the xbox 360 controller, and 2d platformer type games especially NES games like the ones I play via emulator. I dont know if i want to buy a ps4 controller to test if it's better or not. Almost want to get a usb converter and use one of my original SNES controllers.

xeoneex
Supporter
Supporter

Post by xeoneex » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:51 am

James wrote:Are you both using the thumbstick?
yes, but maybe you can add a deadzone option? I know the xbox controllers are very finicky when it comes to the analog stick, and the d-pad is put in such a place it is very uncomfortable. It's the best controller I've used in a long time though and I really dont want to replace it unless I find something much better to use.