Play the Demo + Max level of main character

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Play the Demo + Max level of main character

Post by Nemomon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 pm

A random thought...

I keep watching all the YT movies regarding the Chasm, and each time I see something different than I seen last time, and even last-last time. It seems You James and Discord Games have multiple different demos with different rooms and stuff.

A random idea, what about adding these demos to the final game as a bonus? They already exist, so incorporating them should not be a problem. After finding it in the Dungeon we would be able to activate it, and then with that we would be able to unlock "Play the Demo" mode on the title screen.

It reminds me something funny from the Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. In the game we were able to find vinyl discs with music. Activating them would change the background music of the game. Giving the Demo to play upon completing the game (or extra treasure chests with multiple different demos) would be fun!

====

Also, what will be the max level of the main character? Level 99, or perhaps we will be able to level up infinitely?

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Play the Demo + Max level of main character

Post by James » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Max level for the character at the moment is 50 I believe. Those rooms you mention are either still in the game in some form, or have changed into other better rooms. I've put hundreds of hours into fixing maps and making them as good as possible, so its not exactly something I'd be excited about doing :/

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Hehe, I think it is less about how the rooms looked back then and how they're (or rather they will) looking in the final game. I think it is rather about the feeling or playing something different with different rules and different paths. In one of the Demos the gear to the elevator was in nearby treasure chest. In another demo the same gear was given by a man, and that man was far away from the elevator. in one of the demos we were constantly given health and mana drops, in the final game (from what I read in one of the announcements) the drops will never include health and mana. In one of the first demos we were regenerating mana straight from killing the enemies.

With the demos available in the final game the player will be able to check how the game evolved from its basic version to the final version. I don't think anybody will be complaining that he's playing rooms he already knows nor all the rooms in the previous demos were bad. They were drafts, so they were meant to be not the best as developers wanted them to be ;).

I think adding these won't hurt, especially that they will be just for fun and won't affect the real game at all ;). For example in the Fallout game we're easily able to enter stages that were not added to the final game. That kind of stuff was kind of interesting ;).

===

About the max level, that current max level is just current, or it is planned to be the same in the final game? Are there plans for the infinite levels? The current game uses ESS to everything, I wouldn't be surprised if players would ignore all the shops &c, and would use their ESS just to level up their character. Therefore they would really like the infinite level cap. Though, from what I seen in the movies the enemies do not respawn, so there's a limited amount of ESS available. May not be enough for infinite level.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:32 pm

It's not really possible to just put old demos in the game. The code has changed significantly over the past year, level formats, etc have all changed - so it's not anything that we can just drop in.

Leveling system is just current, it could change for final release. We're just tweaking as we go, so who knows where it will end up. Enemies respawn after you leave the area, so you can grind if you wish. The shops are not a major component of the game, more of a side thing that will have some EQ you won't find in dungeons that playthrough.

inclining
Supporter
Supporter

Post by inclining » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm

James wrote:It's not really possible to just put old demos in the game. The code has changed significantly over the past year, level formats, etc have all changed - so it's not anything that we can just drop in.
Personally - and this is only my opinion - the initial demo levels weren't really that fun. After the novelty wore off, I found them pretty frustrating and the loot was annoying, and there just wasn't much to do. The recent builds have been so much better, I think it would just feel odd and broken to go from the great polished levels in the finished product to the barely-there state of the prototype levels.

If the Discord folks wanted to spend a bunch of time adding content beyond the main game, I'd rather see some kind of special dungeon or new area rather than the work necessary to add old demos in. But I'll be happy with the planned game areas, I think :)
Visit Chasm on Reddit! http://www.reddit.com/r/chasm/

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:54 am

I'd potentially love to play some arcade-styled version of Chasm at some point, akin to the first demo, but as an alternate mode.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:55 am

Yea, we've been talking about an arcade-style mode, and we have some cool ideas. At this point its just kinda very end of our list really. Hopefully later this winter we'll have some time to start seriously thinking about it.