IOS port?

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
NoWhereAtAll

IOS port?

Post by NoWhereAtAll » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

Any chance there might be an ios port planned in the future. I ran into your game by chance and now I'm anxious to get my hands on it. I believe you would be able to get a lot of support from the forums in touch arcade, users are always looking for a good game(myself included). I wish your team luck and I'll be waiting anxiously!

James
Developer
Developer

Re: IOS port?

Post by James » Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

It's definitely something we've thought a bit about. The major problem is there are many controls in the game, and its very precision based platforming. Without a gamepad I don't think anyone would be having fun :)

Who knows what will happen though - the Logitech controller coming out looks awesome!

NoWhereAtAll

Post by NoWhereAtAll » Fri May 02, 2014 6:00 pm

There are a few game pads out already, I personally have and love the stratus. It works great with the games that do have controller support, steelseries put out an email for developers as well to help. Again really excited for your game it hope all goes well.
http://steelseries.com/stratus-develope ... 2a3b72acb7

inclining
Supporter
Supporter

Post by inclining » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:10 pm

James wrote:The major problem is there are many controls in the game, and its very precision based platforming. Without a gamepad I don't think anyone would be having fun :)
That might be true, but take a look at the iOS port of Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV for a counterexample. It's a precision platformer, and has some pretty good virtual controls that make it playable on iOS. As far as sheer number of controls, you'll need directions/jump/attack(s), but some of the keys will naturally convert to touch targets. In VVVVVV, for example, instead of "menu" or "map" buttons, like the Chasm demo's return and tab keys, there's a tiny button in the upper right corner that brings up a map and other settings/area buttons (quit, ship, etc). It appears/disappears contextually depending on what's on the screen.
James wrote:Who knows what will happen though - the Logitech controller coming out looks awesome!
I have one of the Logitech controllers, and it's pretty good. I'd love to see more games supporting MFi controllers, which I'm sure will happen over time. I tried it with Secret of Mana and it works great. I hear Shantae supports it too, although I have yet to try that.

As far as Chasm goes, I'll be plenty happy with a Mac version, and I'm sure you guys agree that focusing on finishing the game is the right move for now. But an iOS port is fun to think about!
Visit Chasm on Reddit! http://www.reddit.com/r/chasm/