Things to keep in mind for Kickstarter

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
fawz
Supporter
Supporter

Things to keep in mind for Kickstarter

Post by fawz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

So as was recently announced Chasm will soon be starting a Kickstarter campaign. This is very exciting as it opens the possibility for the game to turn into much more then was originally planned. However it doesn't mean it's an easy way to get access to free funding. Not only is it really tough to have a successful Kickstarter campaign, but it adds a bunch of responsibilities and expectations to the project.

I'm no expert on the mater having never launched my own Kickstarter project, but I have backed a bunch and kept an eye out on all the major video game campaigns. A few minor changes can go a long way into making the campaign a success or a failure. If anyone disagrees with some of my points or wants to add anything, do tell! I've made this post because I really believe in Chasm and would be distraught were it not to reach it's full potential. Here's a few things I think should be kept in mind when the campaign will be put in place.

Kickstarter Page Content
  • Reasonable initial goal for the project. Not too high to sound cocky and miss on all the funding amassed that falls short of the target, and not too low to pass under everyone's radar. A good middle ground with eventual stretch goals is best.
  • Have the ability to upgrade funded tier (move from tier 1 to tier 2) and have addons (add item a for x$ to any tier).
  • Good extensive FAQ to cover all the technical questions instead of having too much info in the main body. Go over platforms, steam availability, GoG, controllers, ect...
  • Clear contact and more info sources outside Kickstarter page (Website, Forums, Blog, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook).
  • Good stream of updates based on Kickstarter status. Keep people checking back on what's happening with the project. Make it feel alive!
  • Make it clear funding is needed for game to be finished and that it's going somewhere that will make the game better for everyone.

Layout:
  • The project page post shouldn't be too long to the point that crucial information is mixed in with filler and lost as people TL:DR it, but not too short that it feels incomplete.
  • Focus on being clear as to what the game is, what is the vision, why the funds, what will change from the current state of the game, ect...
  • Good mix of images and text. Both concept art and footage. Make it feel like this project is on it's way to success and is already well along.
  • When stretch goals are started have an image depicting status and projected plans (Seeing the progress in a nice image is better then words).

Tiers & Rewards:
  • Have a bunch of reward tiers that are well spread out ranging from small amounts (ie: 10$) and large sums (10000$).
  • Not too many physical rewards to loose funds on due to creating and shipping goods. Not too many digital items to feel like pay2win.
  • Spring along good incentives like alpha, beta, insider forums access, appearance in credits, NPC name, design item, wallpapers, soundtrack, ect...
  • Stay away from game updates like game dev blog videos being exclusive to some tiers as in the long run it leaves the game forgotten.
  • Have special limited bundles. ie: Tier 1 gives X for 1$, Tier 2 gives X and Y for 2$. Have Tier 1.5 that gives X and Y for 1.5$ but limit to 1000. Don't have too small a limit for big juicy tiers (ie: limit of 3) and don't go crazy (ie: 50). If extra tiers are added don't make previous bakers feel ripped off.

Stretch Goals:
  • Stretch goals after limit is met, done before and it feels like you're holding back or abusing stretch goals. Wait a little bit before unavailing them to see how much over funding is happening and what kind of things people want to know more about.
  • Keep goals well spread out so there's an unlock on a regular basis instead of giant ones while keeping the juicy ones for later (gameplay/graphic overhaul, multiplayer, ports, ect...).
  • Only reveal a few stretch goals at a time at first. Too many and people compain about the order, too few and interest is lost.
  • Multiplayer stretch goal! Obviously a lot of work and prob wont make it for launch, but a high end tier for this will attract a lot of people!

ThaPlague
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Things to keep in mind for Kickstarter

Post by ThaPlague » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 am

I don't think multiplayer should be in the game. Instead I would like to see added content such as new weapons, crafting or special abilities. Crafting or item creation would be very nice to see. I like replaying areas to find rare loot or special enemies that appear rarely but drop very rare loot. It would be nice to have a pet instead of multiplayer so you don't have to feel so alone. A special in-game pet for the mid to upper tiers would be nice. :P I don't like the idea of physical goods in a kickstarter. For a digital game physical goods is not what I would want a developer to focus on but that's just me. :)

m0o3

Post by m0o3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 am

ThaPlague wrote:I don't think multiplayer should be in the game. Instead I would like to see added content such as new weapons, crafting or special abilities. Crafting or item creation would be very nice to see. I like replaying areas to find rare loot or special enemies that appear rarely but drop very rare loot. It would be nice to have a pet instead of multiplayer so you don't have to feel so alone. A special in-game pet for the mid to upper tiers would be nice. :P I don't like the idea of physical goods in a kickstarter. For a digital game physical goods is not what I would want a developer to focus on but that's just me. :)
Special enemies and maybe some ultimate Bosses xD
Just Me and you right now. :D
Good extensive FAQ to cover all the technical questions instead of having too much info in the main body. Go over platforms, steam availability, GoG, controllers, ect...
also this is good idea.

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:44 am

There's a lot of good points in this post, I'm with ThaPlague for multiplayer though. It wouldn't suit the game's mood in my opinion. Also why would you want a gameplay/graphic overhaul? The game plays wonderfully and looks beatufiul :(

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Lots of great advice here! We will definitely be combing through all these tips and making sure things are perfect :D

Regarding multiplayer, definitely not happening :P Take Arms kinda burned me out on that stuff, adds a lot of headaches I don't want to deal with. And I also agree, kinda kills the mood. I might consider it for a sequel or something though if the game does well, but for now I'm enjoying developing it as a single player experience.

fawz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by fawz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Glad to hear the pointers I brought up might be of some help :)

When I talked about Multiplayer it doesn't mean it has to necessarily be 2+ players on the same screen but merely implementation of Multiplayer aspects. If I remember correctly this was already confirmed in the form of leaderboards for hardcore modes. Having a stretch goal that looks into pushing that aspect further with more interaction between players would be great. People like interacting with friends and sharing experiences heightens the experience. From what I saw from kickstarter projects it's something people like helping with extra funding to see happen.

As for the gameplay/graphical overhaul I didn't want to allude that the game needs it but that those type of stretch goals are extremely common when there's a lot of overfunding. Usually it's stuff like higher resolution support, orchestral soundtrack, unique look for each item or other such things. Nothing as crazy as redoing the whole game.

Alenonimo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Alenonimo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm

Multiplayer on this game? Nah. It wouldn't work.

It's like putting an egg on a fish head. It doesn't make sense.

Leaderboards? Maybe. Two guys trying to go through opposite exits and failing miserabily? Yuck.