Some suggestions

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Furrion

Some suggestions

Post by Furrion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I listed all of these in my demo review but will put them here for others to see and comment on.

1. Food - Show us how much we will get healed for somewhere in the menu/description. Initially I thought it was tied to the value of the food, which to a degree it is, but it's not always 1 health per value.

2. Weapon animations - When altering the Config file to start on lower floors I was able to find some nice loot in chests! Sacrificial Dagger, Hunting Knife, Hide helmet to name a few. One thing I noticed with the weapons though is that the attack animation always remained the same. Now I don't know how others feel but the sacrificial dagger is this cool looking green dagger and I was hoping that the attack animation would show the new weapon, but it stayed the same. Not sure how hard it would be to add animation showing new weapons or not honestly, the pixel art is in the game for the weapon, just throw a little flair on it in animation which I'm sure is not as easy as it sounds :)

3. Move speed/Jump speed - Honestly I've gotten used to this and again, not sure how everyone else feels, my first impressions though, I felt a little slow. Jumping felt to....floaty? Maybe just very small adjustment to the speed. Again, I've gotten used to it so I don't really care one way or another now.

4. Spells - Book of Blades, I like the spell but when fighting the large ogre/troll enemy in the lower levels and having it only hit once instead of 3 times on the huge target seemed silly to me. Also, I didn't notice spell dmg scaling at all, at least not with the Book of Blades, it didn't scale with levels or intelligence (tested it's dmg with the Hunting knife which adds 2 Int) Not sure if intentional or not but if it's dmg isn't supposed to scale up, let it hit targets more than once, just my opinion.

Sorry for running on, these are just all I've thought of initially here, might think of some more and edit later. Keep up the great work on the game, I love it so far.

demman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Some suggestions

Post by demman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm

I do agree with the jumping. I felt it was pretty high up, but I'm not very picky. I feel like the prettier animations could be a last minute add on. As I said above, I'm not very picky, so I didn't really noticed.

Alenonimo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Alenonimo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure Discord will work on making the weapons unique. Food could have some work to indicate how much they restore you though.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 pm

I think that all items should definitely get a short description in-menu about what they do and I'm sure this is on the list for the post-Kickstarter revamp. The same goes for weapon animations. I think that a hue shifting setting to at least have it match the color of the weapon's sprite would be a pretty good solution while keeping the 'style' the same.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 am

Weapons will definitely look different when you use them in final game. Just another corner we had to cut for demo. We'll be taking a step back and re-evaluating EVERYTHING after the kickstarter. What we have now is just heads down crunch work to meet GDC deadline. Now that we've had some time to digest it, we have a lot of ideas for improvements.