More Mobility?

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
WDesm

More Mobility?

Post by WDesm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi guys! I just preordered the game after playing around with the demo, and while it was still fresh in my mind, I was hoping to throw down some suggestions. Take them or leave them, either way, I'm sure you guys already have a load on your plate!
  • I do love that the game has a roll feature (down+jump). Will 'roll' ever have its own button? I've played the game with both 360 controller and keyboard (well, game keypad), and it would be nice to have it on its own.
  • Evidently diagonal/directional attacks might be a "thing" in the future. Will they be context specific (ie: an upwards fist attack would be an uppercut, while a sword attack would a more Zelda-esque skystab? While an aerial down-attack might be a sword-plunge or a drop-kick?)
  • Holding an attack button does nothing currently. Are there plans for it to do something? (ie: charge spells to higher damage or hold weapons out in a deflect/parry method?)
  • Currently, pressing the jump button yields a full height jump. Is there a plan to hop, jump cancel, or make the length of jump correspond to the length that the button is held? (and if this is available, can it extend to rolls as well? Combining all of the above, a short roll into a sword lunge or something would be amazing!)
  • Is there any intent to having a "look" ability where you can hold up or down to slightly pan the screen in that direction?
It might seem like a vagueish notion, but I really, really love the tech demo, and am hoping for a more fluidic form of movement for the final product, if that makes any sense. I'm not expecting some sort of goofy 100-combo jugglefest like Dishwasher or Devil May Cry, but being able to have a lot of reflexive player motion would be exciting. Either way, definitely looking forward to Spring 2014's release!
Last edited by WDesm on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: More Mobility?

Post by James » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:02 pm

WDesm wrote:
  • I do love that the game has a roll feature (down+jump). Will 'roll' ever have its own button? I've played the game with both 360 controller and keyboard (well, game keypad), and it would be nice to have it on its own.
We've been prototyping a slide in place of the roll so it can be used as an attack. I'm not sure if there will be a standalone dodge button, but it may happen.
WDesm wrote:[*]Evidently diagonal/directional attacks might be a "thing" in the future. Will they be context specific (ie: an upwards fist attack would be an uppercut, while a sword attack would a more Zelda-esque skystab? While an aerial down-attack might be a sword-plunge or a drop-kick?)
We're definitely going to add a diagonal downward attack for crouch and jump. We've also been prototyping a divekick/dropkick move that may make it in.
WDesm wrote:[*]Holding an attack button does nothing currently. Are there plans for it to do something? (ie: charge spells to higher damage or hold weapons out in a deflect/parry method?)
Maybe...
WDesm wrote:[*]Currently, pressing the jump button yields a full height jump. Is there a plan to hop, jump cancel, or make the length of jump correspond to the length that the button is held? (and if this is available, can it extend to rolls as well? Combining all of the above, a short roll into a sword lunge or something would be amazing!)
The length of the jump SHOULD correspond to the length that you hold the button. Were you playing with gamepad or keyboard?
WDesm wrote:[*]Is there any intent to having a "look" ability where you can hold up or down to slightly pan the screen in that direction?[/list]
Yea, that's in the demo but not explicitly stated. If you're using 360 controller, you can look up and down in tall rooms with the Right Stick. For keyboard, you can look up by holding up, or look down by crouching at the edge of a platform for a second or so.

Thanks for the feedback! We're working on a bunch more moves and platforming abilities to make this as awesome as possible :)

WDesm

Post by WDesm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:55 pm

James wrote: The length of the jump SHOULD correspond to the length that you hold the button. Were you playing with gamepad or keyboard?
At the time I was trying it, I was using the 360 gamepad. Perhaps I just need a gentler touch, or wasn't giving it a valiant effort. Jumping seemed "off" to me, like there were only certain parts of the jump arc that I could throw the dagger spell, for example, and I was having a hard time both changing the height of my jump and the moment of my attack (I was aiming for some hanging glowworms at medium range). Maybe I just wasn't doing it right - I'll try again later, for sure.
James wrote: Yea, that's in the demo but not explicitly stated. If you're using 360 controller, you can look up and down in tall rooms with the Right Stick. For keyboard, you can look up by holding up, or look down by crouching at the edge of a platform for a second or so.
Awesome! I was hoping that Right-Stick would be a look or aim stick, but that's sometimes a design direction that devs don't want to go into. Glad to hear it's in there!

pintoyac
Supporter
Supporter

Post by pintoyac » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Maybe the Slide attack should be available when fighting unarmed/with claws(if such a weapon exists). And the same should go for the divekick/dropkick move - it's the kind of move that suits to an unarmed combat style.

surprisefish14
Supporter
Supporter

Post by surprisefish14 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I totally agree on the mobility, a dash button (especially air dash pls) would be nice. As to some other QOL suggestions, maybe allow for movement during attacks (think Castlevania SotN), it would make the shorter range of the sword feel better.