Initial Thoughts

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
LandisOasis
Supporter
Supporter

Initial Thoughts

Post by LandisOasis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 am

Been playing the demo over the last 2 days or so and it's a ton of fun. Sort of stupidly did the bossenabled thing on my first playthrough thinking it would be obvious where the boss would normally be. That was a poor assumption. Wandered aimlessly for 11 floors getting moderately awesome :) but also quite confused as to what was going on. Second playthrough I set it back to normal and lo and behold Mr. Boss guy is there to give me a grade haha.

Anyways, I think the game is gorgeous and runs super fluidly! Didn't have any hiccups I ran into. My two thoughts for things to consider are:

1) Make sure the town feels relevant. Perhaps this is just a byproduct of being a shortish demo, but my first playthrough I went down to 11 and just never felt any desire to balance exploration aspect with the "I wonder what's going on in town" aspect. At first the overweight thing was really nerve wracking for me because I love to absolutely sell everything and deciding what to drop was hard. But then I had some special equipment which was generally better than what the town could give me, and I didn't really see much point to going back to town. I do think this feeling would be partially mitigated once you have some kind of townportal in place.

2) The bats are such a pain for early monsters. Especially on the screens that are just a long pillar with rooms on each of the 4 corners and diamond crossing platforms. I had two bats swarm me when I was trying to get back up one of those rooms and it got pretty frustrating. Though I think that may stem from your inability to do anything after getting hit in the air. This mechanic is a nice throwback to old platformers, but I think if there was even the slightest bit of control in the fall it would go a long way in creating that feeling of efficacy. Anyways, the bats were 1000x more annoying than the eyeballs.

Some things that stood out as being really neat:
1) I like that you finish you swing animation when you land. Castlevania's and other games of the sort often have lag canceling landings, and if feels good not to be able to be gamey like that.

2) I really like the give and take of magic as a resource. It felt well a little scarce but not too scarce and I could imagine how it could play more interestingly as you get new spells.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Initial Thoughts

Post by James » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks a bunch for the feedback! I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the demo :)

I totally agree on all your points. I think you're pretty much right that the demo is just too short for the town to really be needed. It could also be the difficulty scale, or how long it takes to get back to it. We'll be doing some extra work making sure its not just there for a cool intro.

I also hate the damn bats! I promise I'll be rewriting the AI from scratch when I get back around to working on enemies. I'm glad you noticed that the swing doesn't cancel! It was kind of a pain to code that, but I think it feels pretty good and a bit different than Castlevania.

LandisOasis
Supporter
Supporter

Post by LandisOasis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 pm

I have no coding experience so I wasn't sure if the swing was easy or hard. At least it paid off; the animation and timing look and feel great.

Also, I was wondering if the alters are going to change at all based on the value of the items? I feel like from a vibe perspective it sort of makes sense that they would... goes along with the whole sacrifice feel. On the other side I know personally as a gamer I would feel quite uncomfortable using up a limited resource for not maximum gain.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 am

You do get better rewards for sacrificing items with higher value, but I might have it set too high for the demo?

Lailoken
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lailoken » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:26 pm

I may have gotten bad luck, but I got the same reward for a ruby as i did for a hunk of coal

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Lailoken wrote:I may have gotten bad luck, but I got the same reward for a ruby as i did for a hunk of coal
Yea, try dropping a few rubies together maybe. I think the next level of reward up is like the gold equivalent of 200.

LandisOasis
Supporter
Supporter

Post by LandisOasis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Is it based entirely on gold value? If it is like that, then I feel like it is fairly transparent and I feel alright about it. I think it could be a bit of a pain if there are hidden internal calculations at work.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 pm

LandisOasis wrote:Is it based entirely on gold value? If it is like that, then I feel like it is fairly transparent and I feel alright about it. I think it could be a bit of a pain if there are hidden internal calculations at work.
Yea, its based off total gold value of the items dropped. I can't say yet if the final game will be the same or not :)