Add a Third "Action" Button

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
BluHawk007
Supporter
Supporter

Add a Third "Action" Button

Post by BluHawk007 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:23 pm

While playing,I've found myself switching between the book of healing and the book of knives quite a bit. Going in the menu tends to get a bit tedious so maybe it is possible to add a third action button to equip stuff to? It could be limited,perhaps only letting you have spell in that spot? As for what the action button would be (on a gamepad) I was thinking R1. (I use a PS3 controller for my gamepad so I'm a bit unfamiliar with the Xbox triggers,sorry)

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Add a Third "Action" Button

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat May 25, 2013 6:30 pm

I would prefer, instead of a third action button, to instead simply switch between two sets of items. Sort of like Diablo 2/3's weapon swap. It's something that would keep the flavor of the original yet allows for the convenience of variety.

Geko
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Geko » Sat May 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Castlevania had the A B C weapon sets system. I'm sure it would be a welcome addition here.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon May 27, 2013 6:11 pm

We're going to be looking into the best way to handle this soon. Skyrim's system wasn't too bad either. It is kind of a pain though managing two hands when there's so many combinations. I don't remember exactly how Diablo's worked, but it will definitely need to make sense with a gamepad.

marak
Supporter
Supporter

Post by marak » Mon May 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Diablo II (and III)'s system was to let you equip an item to your main hand and off hand, hit a button to swap to change to"load out #2" and then equip a different main and off hand combination. You could then hit the "swap" button whenever to switch between the two main/offhand combinations.

Example: Equip Sword and Shield. Press Swap Button. Equip Mace and Axe. Now you have the Mace/Axe equipped but if you hit the Swap button, you'll be equipped with your Sword and Shield. Hitting Swap again takes you back to Mace/Axe, and so on.

I think the hardest part of implementing this would be displaying it in a comprehensible way in the menu screens. On a PC game, with the mouse, all you need are some overlapped equipment boxes and a "swap me" icon by them. In Chasm... not sure.

Geko
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Geko » Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 am

Since people might not know what I meant by Castlevania's ABC system, let me show you.
In the weapon equipment (armour is separate) menu there is a letter signifying what set is currently being equipped. All the sets can be equipped differently and you switch between them in the menu by using the NDS' L and R buttons.
Now the L and R buttons are both in use as action buttons in the actual game so it is required to push and hold another button (default is X) and then push L or R to switch sets.
And for all this you needed to first find a relic enabling you to do so.
With a regular controller I believe dedicated set switching buttons are possible, so no hassling around with pushing multiple buttons to switch sets.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

Very cool! Thanks for the effort in explaining it. I had played Ecclesia years ago but completely forgot you could do this :D

Eion Kilant 739

Post by Eion Kilant 739 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Geko wrote:-snip-

:!:
That system seems like it would fit excellently into Chasm.

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Eion Kilant 739 wrote:
Geko wrote:-snip-

:!:
That system seems like it would fit excellently into Chasm.
Like I have mentioned in another topic, this idea looks good... but Chasm doesn't have that many variables and souls to cycle them. Players will stick with just 1 super strong weapon they like, and that's all. And their second weapon will be some ranged weapon. They won't have a reson to cycle weapons.

Unless... like in Ecclesia, the weapons will come with extra abilities, and will be required to use to finish the game.