'Weapons styles'

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
James
Developer
Developer

Re: 'Weapons styles'

Post by James » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Yea, it really needs a diagonal punch/swing/stab to help with low stuff, or when you're on slopes above enemies. I'll be prototyping some stuff after the Kickstarter.

Nagisawa

Post by Nagisawa » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:06 pm

poe wrote:
steampunkrue wrote:If I were you, I'd make shields and swords two separate items. That way you have one button to block, and another to attack with any one handed weapon. If the weapon is two handed, then it takes up both slots- but clearly this would do a lot more damage. Just an idea!
Two handed weapons would be awesome, maybe X and B attack in a different way from each other since it has to take both slots anyways.
This would be very cool. I'm a fan of two handed weapon combat. MY suggestions would be the original side slash to button, and an 'overhead smash' for the other button.

Wish I had money to throw at you guys for the Kickstarter.

Feodin

Post by Feodin » Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 am

discordgames wrote:Yea, I wanted to get shields in, but just ran out of time. I think they'd be a really fun addition :D
Would shields act like an off-hand item? Is there a cost to using a shield?

Perhaps shields could be mapped to the B button (where I usually map Book of Blades in the demo). In my mind, this could create an interesting/strategic choice for the player. For example, entering a boss fight, should I equip a spell for more offensive capability, or equip a shield for blocking/damage reduction?

As I write this, a few other thoughts come to my mind -- The rest is just me thinking out loud, you don't have to read it, but any feedback from others is welcome -- I just want to foster some healthy discussion :)

1. If shields and other off-hand items were used in place of spells, what would happen to the mana bar?Taking a step back, what is the mana bar? The mana bar is just a resource mechanic. Perhaps shields and other off-hands could be governed by the same mechanic... what if the mana bar just turned green and was labeled "stamina" but all the mechanics were the same?

2. Why give up spells for a shield/off-hand item? Just map the shield to another button (Left Trigger, or something).
That's a good idea too... but I can't help wondering, does that mean a shield is a mandatory item? If so, will it just be given to the player, along with the sword at the beginning? I like the idea of it being a powerful defensive item that you're lucky to find in a dungeon for the additional variability and replay value of each run... again, just thinking out loud :)

I better stop there for the night. I don't recall the last time I was this excited for a game :D

Sonic Flash
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Sonic Flash » Sat May 11, 2013 5:38 pm

For what it's worth, my favorite in the Castlevania games (when the option was available) was the broadsword, as it results in a wide arc that made sure that I hit pesky targets. It'd be especially useful here, as those bats are huge pains... I don't have problems accounting for the extra swing time.

Mifune013

Post by Mifune013 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I like the idea the shield is it's own weapon, kind of like in Dark Souls (I love how they treat shields in that game). Maybe give it a cool mechanic like, if you hold down the button you block with the shield, but if you quickly tap it you do a shield bash that can stun enemies for a second or so (as well as do a small amount of damage).

Oh, and spears would be awesome. Mostly cause not enough games have spears, but also cause of Terranigma. ¬_¬

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 pm

poe wrote:
steampunkrue wrote:If I were you, I'd make shields and swords two separate items. That way you have one button to block, and another to attack with any one handed weapon. If the weapon is two handed, then it takes up both slots- but clearly this would do a lot more damage. Just an idea!
Two handed weapons would be awesome, maybe X and B attack in a different way from each other since it has to take both slots anyways.
I'm not sure of that. Maybe some (stronger and or relic-like) weapons should use both buttons, but personally I would like them being like the Biggoron's Sword in Zeldas oracle of Seasons/Ages - the two windows for objects merged into one big window and the Biggoron's Sword icon was there, and single button was needed to use it.