'Weapons styles'

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Nagisawa

'Weapons styles'

Post by Nagisawa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 am

So far, we see what looks like a two handed swing whenever the Soldier uses his sword, which is really cool, I like that. But for other people who like sword and shield, or two weapons, would it be hard to implement that? Changing the animation to reflect it? Also, having different types of weapons for people to enjoy?

James
Developer
Developer

Re: 'Weapons styles'

Post by James » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 am

Yea, we're actually trying to sneak more weapon types in this week for the GDC demo. Time is tight, but it's pretty high on my priority list.

For the final game though, you can definitely expect to see that kinda stuff ;)

steampunkrue
Supporter
Supporter

Post by steampunkrue » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 am

If I were you, I'd make shields and swords two separate items. That way you have one button to block, and another to attack with any one handed weapon. If the weapon is two handed, then it takes up both slots- but clearly this would do a lot more damage. Just an idea!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 am

Yea, I wanted to get shields in, but just ran out of time. I think they'd be a really fun addition :D

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 pm

steampunkrue wrote:If I were you, I'd make shields and swords two separate items. That way you have one button to block, and another to attack with any one handed weapon. If the weapon is two handed, then it takes up both slots- but clearly this would do a lot more damage. Just an idea!
Two handed weapons would be awesome, maybe X and B attack in a different way from each other since it has to take both slots anyways.

RhinoKneel

Post by RhinoKneel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:22 pm

I enjoyed playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on GBA and liked the fact broadswords, greatswords, katanas, and daggers all had their own speed, range, and spread. I personally liked the whip sword a lot but might be a bit out there compare to the weapons you have planned.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:23 pm

RhinoKneel wrote:I enjoyed playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on GBA and liked the fact broadswords, greatswords, katanas, and daggers all had their own speed, range, and spread. I personally liked the whip sword a lot but might be a bit out there compare to the weapons you have planned.
Totally agree man. I love the personality in each weapon. We had to keep the demo stuff pretty simple, but will be going back to the drawing board for the final game.

Alenonimo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Alenonimo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is the best metroidvania ever. Better even than Symphony of the Night. Tons of weapons and gears, tons of abilites to collect, tons of obstacles to surpass, tons of enemies to defeat… everything perfectly integrated into an awesome game.

Each weapon was unique. Each ability had it's uses. Each time I've replayed it was fun. It is the perfect game.

May not have the same graphics but c'mon! If graphics were that important you guys would be complaining a lot about Chasm.

It's a shame that Konami crapped on their hands with Dawn of Sorrow. It's not nearly as good as Aria of Sorrow. It could have been.

alef321
Supporter
Supporter

Post by alef321 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Alenonimo wrote:Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is the best metroidvania ever. Better even than Symphony of the Night. Tons of weapons and gears, tons of abilites to collect, tons of obstacles to surpass, tons of enemies to defeat… everything perfectly integrated into an awesome game.

Each weapon was unique. Each ability had it's uses. Each time I've replayed it was fun. It is the perfect game.

May not have the same graphics but c'mon! If graphics were that important you guys would be complaining a lot about Chasm.

It's a shame that Konami crapped on their hands with Dawn of Sorrow. It's not nearly as good as Aria of Sorrow. It could have been.
aria had swords, knifes, short swords , lance, halberd , guns, whip for julius(is that his name?) 2 hand sword, rapier, knuckle, god hand , i may be missing some but ALL OF THEM were handed in a unique way , mix that with the amazing soul/magic system and combat its better than MANY 3d action games ,for example their own Lords of shadow :lol:

Cheetah
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cheetah » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Did want to start a new thread for this.

The hit box on the unarmed punch is so small, that you can't hit a moving mouse even while crouching. You have to wait till they are standing still, run over to them, and then crouch and punch to kill them.

I tried to do a couple naked run, I didn't get very far.