Environments

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
feverberries

Environments

Post by feverberries » Wed May 22, 2013 3:35 am

So, as far as i understand, this game is going to be all about the caves, right? I loved the demo, but one thing that bothered me the most was the fact that all the areas look the same. It's missing the feel that Castlevania SotN had when every new area was a new experience. You were thrilled to enter the next area when you had no idea what to expect and many new areas gave you that "wow!" effect when you entered them the first time.

Chasm (atleast the demo) is still missing that. Also did they not only look the same, but were constructed in same (or very similiar) way. Only the enemies were a little different.

Despite this gripe, i must say i really love that someone is still making metroidvanias! Thanks, Discord. Looking forward to the full version!

Geko
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Environments

Post by Geko » Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 am

It is my understanding that the full game will feature 6 different areas, not only caves. Though I agree, even the caves need a lot of variance. Even when playing just through the demo's 3 levels it became repetitive. There needs to be a lot more different rooms, even minor differences will do. Just as long it's not exactly the same. But I have a feeling this is already taken into consideration by the dev team.

Tuxedodin
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Tuxedodin » Wed May 22, 2013 6:16 am

I'm pretty sure Discord were talking about adding different enviroments and biomes, and at the end of their livestream they even showed a picture of a frozen biome which I think they said was meant for upper levels of the cave close to the surface. They also mentioned something along the lines of branching paths on Steam somewhere, so the enviroments will probably get a lot less linear as you go deeper. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

But yeah, I still hope there will be a lot of variation in both level design and sceneries when the game has gotten further. ;)
Still looking for the holy defense calculation algorithm...

feverberries

Post by feverberries » Thu May 23, 2013 7:15 am

Geko wrote:It is my understanding that the full game will feature 6 different areas, not only caves.
Tuxedodin wrote:I'm pretty sure Discord were talking about adding different enviroments and biomes, and at the end of their livestream they even showed a picture of a frozen biome which I think they said was meant for upper levels of the cave close to the surface. They also mentioned something along the lines of branching paths on Steam somewhere, so the enviroments will probably get a lot less linear as you go deeper. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
i hope this is really the case. i just got even more excited about this game!