Ways for character customization without large changes

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
Eion Kilant 739

Ways for character customization without large changes

Post by Eion Kilant 739 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:06 pm

So my idea was that in some sort of options menu, players could manually set the hexadecimal value of certain parts of the character. Take the eyes in this picture for example. The game would have one pixel labeled "Right Eye (top)" and the other pixel labeled "Right Eye (bottom)" throughout all the playermodel files. When the player changes one of these values they are loaded in place of the normal one. This could be taken a step further, though I suspect more complicated things could run into problems with all the planned armor variants that the player will be wearing.

The option for a 'find and replace' naming system would also be nice, so long as the default name will automatically be there. If the default name is already there and viewable when in the proper menu, it will provide the player with some means to format their name in a way that won't clash with the preexisting world.
("Player Name" versus "PLAYER NAME" versus "pl4y3r N4m3" versus player name.)

Side note: I got the picture by combining two.
Attachments
ChasmPlayer.png
ChasmPlayer.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Ways for character customization without large changes

Post by James » Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm

We're going to be doing basically that for palette variances with a pixel shader. The plan is to make a tool in our editor to make it easy for us to selected a sprite, load the unique colors, then assign variations. I'm not sure how it would work on the game side, but we might be able to tie something in.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat May 25, 2013 6:31 pm

*Gives main character red hair and teal shirt* :D

Eion Kilant 739

Post by Eion Kilant 739 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 pm

discordgames wrote:We're going to be doing basically that for palette variances with a pixel shader. The plan is to make a tool in our editor to make it easy for us to selected a sprite, load the unique colors, then assign variations. I'm not sure how it would work on the game side, but we might be able to tie something in.

Cool, that is a really good idea.