Ring of Attraction

Suggestions to the developers about Chasm.
James
Developer
Developer

Re: Ring of Attraction

Post by James » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 pm

That Attraction was for the attract mode at GDC (played the game trailer after so long) :P

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Hah! XD Well rats, even before seeing this topic, my thoughts were towards the 'attract items' ability. It just seems like a natural fit! But definitely exclude player-dropped items from the attraction's pull. (Attraction would also give a workaround for gold/items stuck under ledges and in spikes, though it doesn't save such items from pits of doom.)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:33 am

Yea, I think we might actually make it an ability you gain instead of an item per say.

Aevumas

Post by Aevumas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 am

I actually think this would be a bad idea.

Here's why:

When I think of attraction, I think of the Ratchet and Clank franchise, and it worked really well there.
But with a 2 dimensional game like Chasm, there's two less directions that items can go away from you. Any item that would be attracted you'd probably be getting anyways.
Oversimplified:
The items will either land on you, to the left of you, or the right of you.
If it lands on you, attraction is not needed.
If it lands to the side of you, it's not that far away. There's a 50% chance you were going that direction anyways. Going a few pixels back doesn't merit a special feature.

This would really only be helpful for items landing in spikes or pits. I think that having things suck now and then is a positive feature- not everything should go your way. Besides, with pits, you can usually spare the HP to grab the item.