Game launches, but is mostly non-responsive. Screen flickers

Help and problem reporting for the game.
bikemath

Game launches, but is mostly non-responsive. Screen flickers

Post by bikemath » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I posted this to the bug report page, but I'm not sure it makes sense there since I don't really have any specific error messages.

Windows 10, 64 bit
8gb DDR3
AMD x4 750k 3.4ghz
Nvidia Geforce 960

Game version 1.035

I've tried to play the game several times since the initial alpha releases, years ago. It's actually never worked. I chalked it up to it being a work in progress, and thought it would be taken care of eventually (given how catastrophic the actual bug appears to be.) To my surprise, even the release versions are still unplayable. (No other game has this issue. I've never seen it before)

I have video of the behavior, but I don't know how useful it is. The screen simply plays the sound (correctly) but the video very slowly refreshes (like ... 20 times / minute.) The menu will work, but it's extremely slow. Like, one change per... six or seven screen refreshes / flickers.
I'm happy to give you guys any other details you might want.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Game launches, but is mostly non-responsive. Screen flic

Post by James » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Are you using Bit Defender or any other antivirus apps? Some of them are causing trouble with the game, so please make sure they're disabled. You might also want to make sure you have the latest drivers since OpenGL can be finicky. Any other information or video you can give us would help greatly!

bikemath

Post by bikemath » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm

James wrote:Are you using Bit Defender or any other antivirus apps? Some of them are causing trouble with the game, so please make sure they're disabled. You might also want to make sure you have the latest drivers since OpenGL can be finicky. Any other information or video you can give us would help greatly!
My drivers are usually up-to-date, and were when I tried yesterday. (GeForce driver 416.34, OpenGL v. 4.6.)

I disabled windows defender and rebooted - the problem persisted.

Again, this has been the case for years - across platforms (Windows 7,8,10.. and two graphics cards: GTX 650Ti and GTX 960.) The only thing that has stayed the same for this PC is the motherboard and CPU.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

What kind of monitor are you using? Do you know what the refresh rate is set to (Display Settings-> Advanced Display Settings)? The game expects a 60hz vsync, so if its different it may cause issues like slowdown.

bikemath

Post by bikemath » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

James wrote:What kind of monitor are you using? Do you know what the refresh rate is set to (Display Settings-> Advanced Display Settings)? The game expects a 60hz vsync, so if its different it may cause issues like slowdown.
I've always had this box hooked up to my TV, which was defaulting the refresh rate at 30hz. I forced it to stay at 60hz and that seems to have cleared it up. Thank you!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear :)