High Scores: Time Trial

General discussion about Chasm.
CrustyThumbs

Re: High Scores: Time Trial

Post by CrustyThumbs » Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm

marak wrote:...so who else gets massive N64 Ocarina of Time flashbacks when chain-rolling?
Exactly!

Cheetah
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cheetah » Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 am

CrustyThumbs: Great commentary and gameplay on those speed run vids. That second time was blazing fast for a blind run, faster than my seed run that I probably ran through for an hour before posting my best time. I do have a counter point to support why I at least like seed runs. You are correct that twitch skills are important to either run, but with randomly generated maps there is a huge element of pure luck in just choosing the correct path or having easy paths to the exit/boss. In your fast run for example you didn't necessarily play better than your earlier run, your choice in path was just outrageously good. A bit of randomness and luck can be fun for competition, but to much can detract a bit. This is why I like seed runs, because much of the randomness and luck is negated. Everyone has the same potential paths to take, enemies to deal with, and items to collect. The difference is which path they find to be the most efficiente, what items they take the time to pick up, whether to dodge or kill enemies, and memorization of routes comes into play. I will admit while randomness is decreased, reliance on skill is also decreased somewhat, but I believe more controlled environments leads to more legitimate competition. Honestly I belief, seed runs and blind runs are both great and it is just a matter of preference.

Also I wanted to post Jame's speed run times from the discord games live stream on seed 6696A595. He did two complete runs and beat some of the earlier times, he definitely did it in fewer tries than myself.
Attachments
Jame's Time 2.png
Jame's Time 2.png (67.23 KiB) Viewed 5572 times

CrustyThumbs

Post by CrustyThumbs » Sat May 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Cheetah wrote:CrustyThumbs: Great commentary and gameplay on those speed run vids. That second time was blazing fast for a blind run, faster than my seed run that I probably ran through for an hour before posting my best time. I do have a counter point to support why I at least like seed runs. You are correct that twitch skills are important to either run, but with randomly generated maps there is a huge element of pure luck in just choosing the correct path or having easy paths to the exit/boss. In your fast run for example you didn't necessarily play better than your earlier run, your choice in path was just outrageously good. A bit of randomness and luck can be fun for competition, but to much can detract a bit. This is why I like seed runs, because much of the randomness and luck is negated. Everyone has the same potential paths to take, enemies to deal with, and items to collect. The difference is which path they find to be the most efficiente, what items they take the time to pick up, whether to dodge or kill enemies, and memorization of routes comes into play. I will admit while randomness is decreased, reliance on skill is also decreased somewhat, but I believe more controlled environments leads to more legitimate competition. Honestly I belief, seed runs and blind runs are both great and it is just a matter of preference.

Also I wanted to post Jame's speed run times from the discord games live stream on seed 6696A595. He did two complete runs and beat some of the earlier times, he definitely did it in fewer tries than myself.
I'm definitely not saying one is better than the other, it's just what I find more enjoyable and feels better to me.

I enjoy getting better gradually better at twitchy things more than optimising precisely.

I think seed runs are probably the only way to compete with other people for sure though.

The rush of taking the right path and rolling/jumping/dodging as best you can (which was pretty bad in my fastest haha but I tried my best) is why I keep playing it over and over, I'd get bored of seed runs and probably not play anymore after seriously optimising a particular seed.

Aaaannnnddddd, completely contrary to all that I love Dark Souls.

D'oh!

Cheetah
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Cheetah » Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Sounds like we agree CrustyThumbs.

I wanted to post some livestream speed run times from others.

We have James' quite speed run of a seed done on here previously.
James 3.png
James 3.png (73.2 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
Then also ManVSGame's speed run from is interview with James a couple weeks ago. He gets credit for not knowing about roll and enjoying killing and exploring too much.
ManVSGame.png
ManVSGame.png (75.63 KiB) Viewed 5546 times

Eion Kilant 739

Post by Eion Kilant 739 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Took me several tries to get it just right, but after memorizing the layout and getting some dodging practice, I ended up with this time. Fists & daggers > swords.
Attachments
Fisting and dodging all the way.
Fisting and dodging all the way.
TimeTrial051213-081837.png (21.61 KiB) Viewed 5526 times

LandisOasis
Supporter
Supporter

Post by LandisOasis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:40 am

I've been enjoying blind runs a lot. Haven't messed around with seeds at all yet. I never seem to get lucky with floor 3 though and just go the right direction :( ... my best run I picked up a scroll to show me the last levels map... so that helped :)
Attachments
TimeTrial070913-121726.png
TimeTrial070913-121726.png (20.08 KiB) Viewed 5281 times