Missing Something?

General discussion about Chasm.
ssg_K
Supporter
Supporter

Missing Something?

Post by ssg_K » Tue May 05, 2015 5:52 pm

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I am nearly three hours into the game and in a horrible rut. I am lvl 6 with the best weapon (for my level as sold from the blacksmith in town) and can almost one-shot every enemy, except the Wendego boss who I barely scratch. I would like to believe I am not supposed to grind for another hour mindlessly killing everything in my path until slowly peck away at the exp needed to level up (assuming a lvl up will even fix my situation). Are the drop rates for items supposed to be this scant ASD well??

Edit: leveling up does not increase my stats. Maybe this will change later on in game but for now it does not.
Last edited by ssg_K on Tue May 05, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssg_K
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Missing Something?

Post by ssg_K » Tue May 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Edit: through sheert luck I was able tho beat the boss

SPOILER

Now that I have unlocked the ledge grab ability and gone to the two ledges previously inaccessible for random garbage chests I have no where else to go. The mines have a room that is inaccessible due to a steel pillar blocking me. I did happen to end up back at the gardens to which I dumped the boss kill reward but still. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Alice
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Alice » Wed May 06, 2015 1:04 am

Just because one weapon has more damage than another doesn't mean it's strictly 'better', you also have to think about the attacks it has and its speed. You can also add a gem to a weapon to make it do more damage, and I think you can upgrade them but I might be misremembering.

Either way, Wendy is pretty hard and I just had to fight him several times to understand his attacks. He gets pretty unfairly fast there in the end. Pretty sure I just poked him with the longsword till he died. Also, you can get potion(s) to restore hp.

MajorFordson
Supporter
Supporter

Post by MajorFordson » Fri May 08, 2015 9:56 am

Honestly, I just had two or three tries to beat him. He simply felt like a "learn his attacks and time your attacks and dodges well" boss, same as any other platformer. Sure his HP bar felt a little fat, but overall I never really thought to myself "hmm better go and try to level up to do more damage", I simply grit my teeth and accepted it would be a long (by the usual standards of such games) fight.

Would love to see certain sneaky "weaknesses" or bonuses for fighting bosses. So wailing on his back, instead of front, could net you 1 damage point extra or something. Or perhaps he would be more vulnerable to the club, or fire magic. Just something for players to discover and diversify the combat a little.

Game would still benefit VERY much from highlights/marks on the minimap to indicate to the player areas that he has not entered yet. All to easy to not go down a certain path, then not see it on the minimap due to the lack of highlighting and size/complexity of the map.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri May 08, 2015 1:08 pm

We're definitely going to be tweaking up the map a bit more. We've been going back and forth on the Boss health bars actually, I'm not really a huge fan of seeing exactly how much health is left. I think the general idea probably came from Mega Man, but they're way more useful in that game so you can see which weapon is doing the most damage to a boss.

MajorFordson
Supporter
Supporter

Post by MajorFordson » Sun May 10, 2015 10:13 pm

James wrote:We're definitely going to be tweaking up the map a bit more. We've been going back and forth on the Boss health bars actually, I'm not really a huge fan of seeing exactly how much health is left. I think the general idea probably came from Mega Man, but they're way more useful in that game so you can see which weapon is doing the most damage to a boss.
I don't suppose having a visual indicator for when the boss is past halfway HP is out of the question? More work for animators, but if there's no health bar it would give the player some indication and a feeling of progress as they attack the boss. Otherwise bosses can feel like a mystery slogfest.

Even if there was simply a generic blood drip effect overlaid onto the boss or something. Or another staple of boss fights, more aggressive/different attacks when the boss is close to death.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun May 10, 2015 10:23 pm

That's a possibility, and I like how in Link to the Past they change to a shade of red when they reach critical stage as well.

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Thu May 14, 2015 5:18 pm

What about having something different as an indicator? For example a blue bird will come to the boss room once the boss is at its half of health. And another bird once the boss is at its 1/4 of health. Or from the ground a bigger flower or small tree will grow. Or perhaps in the background some wild animals will start coming (lured by the fact that their tyrant is about to die).

I think it would be better to have something plot related as an indicator (like that gathering animals) rather than taken out of nowhere indicator.

RobTheRed

Post by RobTheRed » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:42 pm

I must have missed something, but how do you socket gems into a weapon? I have the broadsword, I have 2 gems (chipped sapphire and emerald) and I would like to make my weapon do more damage. I tried selecting the weapon, but didn't find any options, I tried selecting the gems, but again no option. What am I missing?

RobTheRed

Post by RobTheRed » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Nevermind... found it at the blacksmith. You would think that he could do it himself in the dungeon, but I guess you do need some finesse.