Saves lost?

General discussion about Chasm.
t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Saves lost?

Post by t-ray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:40 pm

I haven't been able to play much, and I finally have a chance to put some real time into it. I started the game and when I tried to load my character, nothing was listed - except for the warning that saves may disappear during the alpha.

Totally bummed. I understand it's an alpha. Is there a way to recover my save? Is there a way to revert to an older version of the alpha that is perhaps still compatible with my saves?

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Saves lost?

Post by James » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Sorry, as far as I know there's no possible way to revert on Steam. With the procedural nature of the game if we change anything in generation the rest of the game is thrown off and will be different. We're going to try and keep save breaking changes to a minimum in the future, but here at launch things need to get updated quickly to fix crashing and other issues.

bobjones1980
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bobjones1980 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm

You have to play on multiple computers and not let one of them update the game

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 pm

We're here to test the game and help make it better. I learned a long time ago with these pre-release games that if I care about losing the effort I put into it to not play the beta. I put away Starbound for that reason plus others. :3 I don't mind losing my progress for Chasm because it's a game meant to be played several times, and a single playthrough's only 2 hours right now.

t-ray
Supporter
Supporter

Post by t-ray » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I understand the purpose of an alpha, and our role its use. The developers have every prerogative to make any changes they like. I'd still like my saves back though :)