Control Issue

General discussion about Chasm.
Eliphus
Supporter
Supporter

Control Issue

Post by Eliphus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:21 am

I've been playing the pre-alpha for a few hours now and I have a slight problem. I use an xbox 360 controller and I'm finding the control will sometimes active ducking when holding right or left. The joystick is pretty unreliable and the D-pad has to be precisely on the end of the left or right portion of the pad or it will occur more often. I've found the wooden platforms are the worst, I've ducked through the floor a dozen or so times trying to get up some of the vertical platforms over the course of 3-4 hours. Other than that it runs fine, it's pretty difficult w/out item drops, and I'm liking the ledge grab mechanic.

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Control Issue

Post by James » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:28 am

Will be working on the sticks as you mentioned here soon. I have same issue, just didn't really catch it because I don't use them much :)

Eliphus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Eliphus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks! I'm not all gloom & doom! I really enjoy it thus far!

HowlingLotus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HowlingLotus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:22 am

I use a 360 controller too and I have noticed this as well. Not that I would use the thumbstick for this sort of game, but I did try it first anyhow.

On a related issue I find that I don't always grab onto a ladder when pushing up after jumping (on the d-pad). Not sure if it's an issue of timing on my end, but the times I do miss it seems I have part of my torso+head over the ladder. It's minor, but it sucks to miss when it looks like you were okay... only to then fall into spikes for 1/4 of your health :lol:.

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:07 pm

360'ish controller, getting an issue with the right analog. My analog is slightly worn, so it doesn't always stay in the center. So my camera, on occasion, starts doing this wiggling bouncing updownupdown thing. I generally just give my right analog a smack and it stops, but some minimum threshold there would be nice.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

I tweaked the deadzone a bit for next update :)

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks. It took me a bit to be certain it was the fault of my controller. And man, was it painful. Glad it was a fault on my end and not the camera tracking on the game, haha.