you guys NAILED IT!!!!

General discussion about Chasm.
elektriccobra
Supporter
Supporter

you guys NAILED IT!!!!

Post by elektriccobra » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:00 pm

awesome time on the early access, everything i was hoping for!!!!!!!!! really great job!!!!

havent seen any items drop from enemies but thats probably because its early access.

ONE thing i would like to recommend, attack animation reset on landing. Castlevanias have nailed this and even street fighter and a lot of fighting games do it, when you are coming down out of a jump and swing your weapon right before you hit the ground, your attack lands and the animation resets when you touch the ground allowing for another attack.

this isnt gamebreaking, but it gives a crisp feel and allows the player to feel like they are pulling off a human-player based "skill" everyone likes feeling like they have pulled off something cool and have an "edge" there it is! and talk about easy to implement! should take about 10 minutes of adjusting the animation rules to put that in. please consider it!

otherwise i am right at home with this game and it really feels like the definitive 'metroid-vania' while excelling to become its own thing! great job

James
Developer
Developer

Re: you guys NAILED IT!!!!

Post by James » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks a bunch for the feedback, really glad to hear you like it :) We were considering attack cancelling on landing, but decides to try cut-overs instead. We may end up trying it again though, it just felt kinda weird if you landed jump at wrong time youd literally see like a frame of your sword and it felt kinda glitchy. I'll have to take another look at Symphony and see how they handle that.

elektriccobra
Supporter
Supporter

Post by elektriccobra » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:15 pm

yeah that was what i was thinking, it was nice getting that weird like pseudo double hit (even if it looks like a glitch, i always loved when i found what i thought was glitch that did something cool!)
any chance of some weapon specific command specials ie. qcf + attack on Alucard sword did that cool teleport move and...sword of dawn!! or shield staff + shield combos?

oh and i really love the atmosphere, it gives me that lost and alone (but loving it cause im an only child haha) feel that these games have (need)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:32 pm

There's no moves at the moment, but we may consider it if we have time. Just kinda one of those things that won't add much overall if we focus time on it right now :/

Very glad to hear we got the atmosphere down :)

red36
Supporter
Supporter

Post by red36 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:27 pm

QCF/B, HCF/B would be great additions to the game. From both demos, I always felt like i wanted a lunge type attack, something that would attack and move forward at the same time. Just to take out those pesky rats at least. Perhaps other weapons take care of this desire though. Certainly the magic covered a bit of it, but a skilled based no cost action could be a nice addition.

Jonny-O
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jonny-O » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Just got my early access and I have to say this is so far the best metroidvania game I've backed and the game is very faithful to the genre.
I've only managed to run into two problems.

First is that if you attack, use a campfire and exit the campfire before the swing ends, you softlock the game.

Second problem came up while fighting the Maggot boss, where I didn't see any boss at all and kept taking damage everywhere in the room.
I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but if I dealt enough damage so the boss health only had a sliver of red left, the room stopped damaging me, but the doors wouldn't open so I was basically stuck.
If I exited to the main menu and continued the game, the boss health bar remains on the screen.

Besides these problems, loving every second of the game.
Keep up the good work!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Jonny! Did you back with Humble or Kickstarter? Just noticed you didn't have a badge for the private forums.

Jonny-O
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jonny-O » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:17 pm

I backed the $25 during Kickstarter.
I must've missed the special badge stuff completely.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Jonny-O wrote:I backed the $25 during Kickstarter.
I must've missed the special badge stuff completely.
No problem man, just hooked you up. There's a forum for bug reports here: http://discordgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=253

Jonny-O
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jonny-O » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

Looks like said bugs are already spotted and reported, so I won't bother reposting them in the thread.
Will keep an eye out if I happen to come across any more and post about them if I do.