Enemy Respawning

General discussion about Chasm.
nemotrm

Enemy Respawning

Post by nemotrm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Currently in the demo, when you leave a screen all the enemies respawn. Is this a planned feature for the full release or will enemies be permanently killed?

Geko
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Enemy Respawning

Post by Geko » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:12 am

Enemy respawning when exiting-returning to a screen is standard in metroidvania games and I don't see why this game should be any different.

Mifune013

Post by Mifune013 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Why would you want them to be permanently killed? How are you farm cash, XP, and loot if the things you farm off permanently die?

Oakleaf
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Oakleaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

I would want the enemies to get permanently killed just so that you can't farm. Farming isn't fun :P
Also if you are playing with perma death you are going to feel that you have to farm to make it through, which isn't fun at all in my opinion :P

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm

You can reduce farming by doing something like Symphony of the Night where enemies give you orders of magnitude less experience for each level past a target one.

I also tried making it so they didn't respawn just to see how it was, and it was kind of boring running through empty dungeons when you backtrack. If we did go that route, enemies would have to be way harder than they are.

Oakleaf
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Oakleaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah backtracking would be really boring without enemies. couldn't you make it so that enemies you have already killed won't yield any experience or gold? Maybe that wouldn't be as fun as that Symphony of the Night thing tho.
Or why not make it so that you don't have to backtrack with the help of teleporters and such?
Just some ideas :P

I love min-maxing in games so if farming makes your character better I usually do it even if it is boring.

Lunais
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lunais » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:06 am

I think enemy respawning is great, and is pretty much required in a game that has RPG elements. If the game is balanced well, then grinding should not be required- which is great. Games like Order of Ecclesia were very difficult, requiring most players to grind a little to beat the bosses. But, if you actually knew the pattern of the bosses and enemies, you could beat the game at level one (with new game+ spells ;P). This is a great mechanic, since it both allows new players to beat difficult fights by grinding and simultaneously offers a place for skilled players to shine.

Avid
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Avid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Could there be some level of enemy randomization upon returning to a level and/or a small buffer (time delay or rooms traveled) before enemies respawn? I feel like that's a happy medium - you don't endlessly fight the same enemies/still have a chance to be surprised, but can farm and feel a constant threat.

Also it's kind of silly to leave a room, immediately turn back in less than a second, and have the room be filled again.

Maybe something like having some baseline enemies that remain the same each time you return (e.g., rats) but some additional "high-interest" enemies that are randomized/respawned as above (e.g., big rats/trolls/etc).

Nemomon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Nemomon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 am

Enemies should respawn. They're free gold and XP. Grinding is an important part of every Castlevania-ish game, so there's no reason why Chasm should not have it.

But, I agree that there should be some variety in enemies and their position. In Metroidvania games we often knew what enemies are awaiting us, and at what exactly position they are. Therefore speed runs were very easy because of that.

If the rooms will have various schemes of enemies and their starting positions, dungeons won't be boring, because each time they will be different.

zohaa

Post by zohaa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:58 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Do we know if any of the armour / helmets / gear in the game will actually change the cosmetic appearance of the character? I completely appreciate the technical difficulties surrounding the creation of different visual iterations of the character, but there is something rewarding about equipping a new helm / tunic and seeing it visually represented on the character model.

Any information on this would be helpful.

If not, is there any similar game (not necessarily side-scrolling or platform, but rpg and of the same sort of art style that does do this) that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
We offer Pass4sure 1D0-635 online training with 100% success guarantee. Download University of Washington study pack and pass your EX0-101 exam in single attempt.if you need more information APPLE see main Facebook Good Luck.