Chasm Translator

Unofficial fan translations, mods, etc.
Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Chasm Translator

Post by Marcel » Thu May 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

thanks Dan :) I am implementing the search/replace feature right now. I guess I nearly finsihed it hehe.

Damn, I should read this forum more often :P Ok for dialogue.xnb I will just make the last column editable(again) in the next version :) I love Interfaces hehe ;)

Short preview:
- Will be able to edit weapons and items.
- Search/Replace (Replacement will be copied to the translation textbox and always search the original text)
- Config file to configure Menu shortcuts
- Better file support in open file dialog
- Bugfixes and I bet it got some new bugs :P

After that:
- Finally the Merge-Tool ... the more text, the more it will be a pain in the ass to retranslate all the files.
- Bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes... I guess these bugs ain't gonna fix 'emself! :lol:

I will release it tomorrow.

@Discord:
I couldn't find the status text Ianuarius mentioned in any XNB. I also can't find the text next to the button keys and the intro text (i guess the intro text is an image?!)

@All: I guess we soon need a place to offer our latest translations. How about a sticky and Wiki-Action?!
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

AlVertigo

Post by AlVertigo » Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi all,

First of all, let me say that this game looks amazing and I have already contributed on Kickstarter.
Second of all, @Marcel: your tool looks and works great. I can't wait to see all the features you can implement.

As for me, I am a professional translator and I would gladly participate in this crowdsourced translation project. It would be my pleasure to provide the European Spanish text. I think great indie games such as this should reach as many people as possible and I would love to do my part to help achieve that.

I look forward to future updates on the game and the translation tool!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Thu May 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi AlVertigo,

and welcome to the board :) I think so too. The more languages, the better!

I try my best to bring up features that help to translate the game and make it easy to translate newer releases in the future. If someone needs a feature to make his/her life easier. Don't mind telling me :)

You sure are welcome to our little "translator club" hehe :)

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Marcel, you're awesome! I wish I could do what you are doing and you almost make it look easy, too! To me, trying to do anything like that would be all headaches and frustration, I am afraid. :o
Back on topic, I tried translate strings.xnb in Japanese, but it obviously make Chasm crash! :? Am I asking to much to somehow include Asian characters such as Japanese kanji and kana and maybe simplified Chinese hanzi?
I could write Japanese in English characters, but that would look pretty silly and amateurish ...not that I am not, as I am a mere learner of those languages and not experienced with translation at all! :lol: Still, it would be great to try and translate to Japanese, wouldn't it? :lol:

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Thu May 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi Dan,

Discord Games have to decide if they want to support this languages, because they would have to change the whole font system for it I guess. There's an "easy" and "hard" way.

Easy:
Use a Unicode font which supports most of the chars (but first you have to find one). Then they will have to implement a custom ContentProcessor. And the game has to load the font dynamically depending on e.g. the Local System settings (Culture Info) or via .ini settings (more secure). But I guess it's hard to find a monospace font with all chars, that look like the font does now (pixel pixel pixel).

Hard:
Create own Bitmap fonts and map them...I think this is no fun at all haha. And still they would need dynamical loading of spritefonts, because XNA has a texture size limit, afaik.

I guess this is maybe a future extra?! Or maybe someone does know another way?! But it sure would be cool to see a chinese/japanese version in the future hehe. Maybe Discord should make one of those fancy japanese commercials for their game hehe.

@Discord, did you set this:

Code: Select all

<DefaultCharacter>?</DefaultCharacter>
(Character that will be shown, if not mapped instead of crashing the application).

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Thu May 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Marcel wrote:Hi Dan,
@Discord, did you set this:

Code: Select all

<DefaultCharacter>?</DefaultCharacter>
(Character that will be shown, if not mapped instead of crashing the application).
No, I didn't know about that! I will set that for the next version.

Also, the status stuff is from an Enum so there's no translation point. The intro next is hardcoded in the C# due to the linebreaks. Let me think how we can replicate that from file..

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri May 03, 2013 6:52 am

Hi everyone,

new version is now online: See first post :)

As always, if you encounter an error, just tell me about it :)

@Discord: Well, it could be possible to change the text, but this would need some special effort. And I am not a fan of patching executables hehe

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri May 03, 2013 12:50 pm

I took some liberties with my Italian translation, such as changing the "inventory" with a "backpack" (even if the character doesn't seem to have any... but where else could he - and hopefully she - keep all those stuff!?).
Please let me know if you think that's not something to do! Unfortunately with fidelity in translation come a lot of frustrating limitations (in this case, font size an text-box space troubles more than everything else!) :)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri May 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Yea, it's definitely a tradeoff Dan. As long as its thematically fitting and makes sense, its fine by me. I need to fix some of the right aligning of text since I hardcoded it for the English verison.

What do you guys think we should do for the translation files? We could either put links at the top of this post since its stickied, or create a separate post and sticky it. I kinda feel like there should probably be one spot though to get all languages.

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 pm

discordgames wrote: What do you guys think we should do for the translation files? We could either put links at the top of this post since its stickied, or create a separate post and sticky it. I kinda feel like there should probably be one spot though to get all languages.
I quote myself:
@All: I guess we soon need a place to offer our latest translations. How about a sticky and Wiki-Action?!
I guess another Sticky would be good :) But a Chasm Wiki would be cool, too