Chasm Translator

Unofficial fan translations, mods, etc.
Dan

Re: Chasm Translator

Post by Dan » Fri May 03, 2013 1:06 pm

discordgames wrote:Yea, it's definitely a tradeoff Dan. As long as its thematically fitting and makes sense, its fine by me. I need to fix some of the right aligning of text since I hardcoded it for the English verison.
What do you guys think we should do for the translation files? We could either put links at the top of this post since its stickied, or create a separate post and sticky it. I kinda feel like there should probably be one spot though to get all languages.
I'm glad you think this way! Maybe I'll dare slip just right here a suggestion to add a fancy little backpack to the character sprite? :lol:

I noticed the odd aligning of the text, especially on the status screen! I tried to "fix" that with some added spaces here and there and some rethinking about shorter words where they just couldn't fit.
By the way, other changes I made that now pop in my mind are "Wt." to "kg" and "Val." to "$", as well as "STR" to "Vig" and "Strenght" to "Vigour" (Vigore). (That's because "Luck" in Italian should be "Fortuna" and its abbreviated form would be "For": the same as "Forza", that is Italian for "Strenght". :(

I think that a sticky post that list all ongoing translations and that links to their official topics, and maybe to the current translated files / versions of the demo would be for the best! :) I don't know about the wiki, honestly... How would that work, Marcel?
Last edited by Dan on Fri May 03, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri May 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Marcel wrote:
discordgames wrote: I guess another Sticky would be good :) But a Chasm Wiki would be cool, too
We have a Wiki, there's just no links to it at the moment I think haha..

http://discordgames.com/Games/Chasm/Wiki/index.php

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri May 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Great :D You should set up a link somewhere hehe.

I have another idea:

I think I have one domain left. I could create a new site, e.G.: chasm-fansite.com (please find a better name haha)

I then could host a fan page for chasm AND I could create a Web service for my tool. Translators get access to a language managing tool and upload their translations on this site.

My tool then offers to grab the latest translations and install it. This would make it "more official" for none forum users.

Maybe building an extra tool for this purpose would be better and you ship it with your game (i can give you the sources of course), or you host this script (PHP or .NET MVC 3)...

What do you guys think?

@Dan: Everyone can change the wiki content :)

Edit:
@Discord: This tool would work semi-automatically if you always change your build-version of chasm (so does my "publishing" mechanic in Chasm Translator.
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 pm

This is what I thought about:

(Click)

User View
Admin View

The translators will be able to manage their own language files online.
The PHP script checks the uploaded files to contain all necessary data etc.
The users can choose what they want to download.

The PHP script will also offer a CSV/XML file to query all available translations.

I have some kind of Chasm Launcher in mind. The launcher may offer things like this:
- Start Chasm
- Settings (opens .ini file in user friendly interface, I once buildt a tool for Dark Souls Mod by petert, so I guess I know how to handle .ini files to be user friendly...Meta data :D)
- Change language (queries the PHP script and downloads the selected language + "installs" it)

Check it out:
User Interface: http://erloschen.net/ChasmAdmin/index.php
Admin Interace http://erloschen.net/ChasmAdmin/index.php?admin

Username is one of the culture short names (it-IT,fi-FI or sv-SE)
Password is always: test123321

You need to upload a ZIP file containing the 4 XNBs needed to be a complete translation! The ZIP file needs to have the Chasm Version number as it's name (e.g.: 1.0.1.1.zip ... my Translation Tool adds this name to your files if published).
Don't wonder, I uploaded the en-EN files for each language ;D

Tell me what you think...I could host this script and create a Chasm Launcher...or Discord hosts this script and creates an launcher (or takes mine with Sources of course etc.)

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 am

Have I already said that you're awesome, Marcel? :lol:
it-IT uploaded.

By the way, would be easy for you to make it so the Translator tool could output a plain text comparison between the original and translated files so one could get someone to proof-read them without having to actually find all the lines in-game? Even a simple .txt with only the translated lines would be fine. Don't sweat on it, though; I'm only asking if it really takes you just a minute or so! :)

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 am

haha thanks dude :)

And thanks for uploading, but I am still waiting for discordgames opinion on this one + a chasm Launcher.

Maybe the edit/preview opion is helpfull for you? It shows you the plain CSV file.

like this:

Code: Select all

Blacksmith	default	Sgobbà, sgobbà, sempre a sgobbare... Beh, temo che quest' armamenti non si forgeranno da sè!	
Blacksmith	talk_to_mine_mgr	Ehi tu, ragazzo! Devi esser nuovo in città. Dovresti parlare col capo che è giù di là. Son sicuro sarà felice di vedere un volto nuovo.

Blacksmith	get_knife_from_locker	Abbisogni un'arma? Be', mi spiace ragazzo, nient' elemosina. Ho da stringer la cinghia con quel che è accaduto!	
Crone	default	Ho pozioni, incantesimi ed oggetti magici in vendita. Dai un'occhiata, perché no?	
Crone	talk_to_mine_mgr	Ah, sei infine arrivato...	
Innkeeper	default	Ciao, mio caro. Sarai affamato! Ho del buon cibo da vendere, vieni, prendi qualcosa da mangiare.	
Innkeeper	talk_to_mine_mgr	Oh, ma benvenuto! Appena ti sarai riscaldato, dovresti andare qui accanto a conoscere il capo miniera.	
Innkeeper	get_knife_from_locker	Oh, stai cercando un'arma? Be'... non ne tengo qui in giro! Però, c'è un vecchio forziere al piano di sopra che potresti controllare.	
Mine Manager	default	Come va giù in miniera? Se vedi uno dei miei uomini, digli di tornare a lavoro!	
Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr	Benvenuto a Karthas, amico! Giungi in un brutto momento. Nemmeno due giorni fa, quello straniero si è fatto vivo fuori città e subito ci ha colpiti un terremoto!	
Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr	I minatori non sono mai tornati dopo il terremoto e nessuno è mai riuscito ad andare fuori a cercare aiuto. Non riesco a spiegarlo... ma si finisce sempre per girare in tondo!	
Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr	Prima del terremoto, giravano voci di una scoperta nelle miniere, ma nessuno di loro mi ha mai dato una risposta sensata. Mi pare il posto giusto da cui iniziare.	
Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr	Ma prima, ti conviene procurarti un arma. Quei ratti di miniera sono bestiole maligne! Va' a cercare qui in città qualcosa con cui difenderti.

Mine Manager	get_knife_from_locker	Non hai ancora trovato un'arma per te? Be', continua a cercare. Sono sicuro che troverai qui in giro qualcosa di utile.	
Mine Manager	equip_knife	Ah, bene. Ti sei trovato un'arma! Ora, è meglio che ti appresti a combattere equipaggiandola.	
Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr2	Sembra che tu sia pronto! I minatori stavano lavorando ad uno dei passaggi della piattaforma numero 2, l'ultima volta che ne ho saputo. Prendi questa chiave per l'ingresso, e scendi di sotto.

Mine Manager	talk_to_mine_mgr2	Ora ricorda: vieni a riferire non appena vieni a saperne qualcosa. E sta' attento laggiù! Chi lo sa, in cosa ti imbatterai...
(Maybe I should make an "export to HTML" feature? So it's easier to read then.)

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 am

Marcel wrote:(Maybe I should make an "export to HTML" feature? So it's easier to read then.)
Yes! I meant something like that. Even better if it could compare the original script, like alternating English and translated lines, if it could be done!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Sun May 05, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Dan,

I included this featured. Will be available for the next version :) Result will look like this:

http://erloschen.net/Chasm/ChasmTranlsation.htm

I almost finished the merge/compare tool .

And for the launcher:
It could look like this (maybe a more fancy graphic in the background):

@Discordgames:
This would be the data the launcher could fetch from my script:
http://erloschen.net/ChasmAdmin/xml.php

So what do you think?!

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Hey Marcel, sorry its taken me a while to get back to you. Please feel free to make the launcher or website, its fine by me ;)

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 am

Hey,

ok thanks. Then I will register a new domain for this purpose. (As soon as Kickstarter pledges are at 150k ;D)
EDIT: Yay...150k+ reached hehe. GZ DISCORDGAMES!!!!!!!
Ok I will set it up later this day then. Great game incoming :D

I thought about "chasm-vault.com"...maybe I will host a fan based site there soon or later. Donno yet?!

Any suggestions on the domain name?

@Poe: Maybe we should edit the translation Sticky then? (Translations Directory)

@All: Everyone who wants to be the "king" of a language, write me a PM. I will give you a password for the page then to attend your translations online.

@All again: Maybe someone watns to draw a nice 800x600 background for the chasm launcher? :) My drawing skills are limited haha