Supporter
Supporter

German Translation/Translation Tool

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Discord Games Team,

I recently found your kickstarter page and backed your project, because:

AWESOME AS FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
You can find the german translation here: http://discordgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98
Or here: http://lang.chasmonline.com
Made by user Mochizuki

So..i wonder if you plan to offer text translations for your game (e.g.: German, Polish etc.)

If so, I would be glad to help you out with your german translation :) I am a developer myself (C++, PHP, C#)...and i know you are using XNA for your game :O

I could create a little helper Tool (maybe with WPF) for translation support. So other users might as well have the ability to create translations for your game! I guess, offering translations is always a clever move?!

Hope you think about it, i would really like to do it :) But I don't want to use IL Spy or something to make a patch for it ;)

Regards,

Marcel
Last edited by Marcel on Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

James
Developer
Developer

Re: German Translation/Translation Tool

Post by James » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I can't give out source code, but I think the dialogue could be replaced pretty easy. It's in the Database/dialogue.xnb file. As for all the menu options and stuff, I will have to think about. It might not be too hard to move that text out to data files as well ;)

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi,

i will take a look into it tomorrow, the source is not needed, at least the strings are important. I could use the xnb or an extra file with strings only...for the xnb i will have to look into it a little bit :)

But an extra string resource file would be easier to handle i guess.

I have a tool in mind, that does detect the differences between the versions (e.g. you change a text, but the ID is the same). So users would be able to just update the changed strings (version comparison).

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Marcel wrote:Hi,

i will take a look into it tomorrow, the source is not needed, at least the strings are important. I could use the xnb or an extra file with strings only...for the xnb i will have to look into it a little bit :)

But an extra string resource file would be easier to handle i guess.

I have a tool in mind, that does detect the differences between the versions (e.g. you change a text, but the ID is the same). So users would be able to just update the changed strings (version comparison).
Made some big progress in the last day to help you with this. For the next demo update, I've moved all the text that was in the C# out to a tab-delmited CSV file called strings.csv. If you can make a tool that will edit dialogue.csv easily, then you'll also be able to edit string.csv easily as well. Hope this helps :D

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:01 am

Hi Mr. Discordgames,

wow cool, I spent my sunday on researching the XNB file format to unpack the CSV files. But now it will be a lot easier.
Pretty good :)

I Just read your kickstarter update. Sounds great. As soon as I got my hands on the new demo, I will start developing.

Have you thought about how to change the languages in game (because something like: dialogue_en.csv, dialogue_de.csv would be a cool feature)?

regards,

Marcel

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:41 am

Yea, that's how the final game will be for sure! I just don't have time to add extra support right now, so these fan patches will have to suffice. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 am

Hi,

okay :) I didn't look into the CSV that much, but I guess you have this format (both dialogue.csv and string.csv):

Code: Select all

KEY,VALUE
(of course tabs instead of ",")

Do you have a text-delimiter like this ->

"
?

Just need this info to start with the development. Can't wait until the demo is released hehe.

I also have some kind of "merge" and "multicompare" in mind.

Merge:
Merges the newest english CSV with the already translated CSV (to just copy the new text pieces into the CSV, so the translator doen't have to retranslate the whole file).

Multicompare:
Compares the old english CSV with the newest english CSV. Tries to find text changes and maps them into the already translated CSV.

I guess this makes it easier for the translator to find text changes in the newest version, so he can retranslate the text right away instead of comparing all the texts on it's own.

Regards,

Marcel

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Yea, they're all tab-delimited csv files. Not sure what you mean by the ". Also, we made a new Contributions forums for this kinda stuff, so we should probably move this conversation there ;)

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

VWOOP! AND SO IT MOVES.

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 am

I meant a text-delimiter like double quotes, eg.:

"This is a string"
but i saw you don't have them and don't need them when tab-delimiters are used to separate each column.

But I looked into your file yesterday and saw this structure:

speaker   quest    line
I was asking, because i wanted to prepare my CSV-Reader :) I need some kind of key for my list, for later comparison. I guess speaker+quest will do it.

And thanks for moving us around :lol:

Regards,

Marcel