German Translation/Translation Tool

Unofficial fan translations, mods, etc.
James
Developer
Developer

Re: German Translation/Translation Tool

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Sorry Marcel, I might have opened the wrong file.. gotta love rush jobs! ><

Btw, timdodd is on the team. I'm sure you guys will be able to figure something out, but worst case I can write a manual reader for .csvs that bypasses the ContentReader.

It might be possible to swap the font .xnbs out with alternatives? Tools like SpriteFont2 will build the XNB files for you based off the font of your language. I think the game figures out on load the width of the fonts and stuff, but no promises ;)

timdodd
Developer
Developer

Post by timdodd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 pm

@Marcel
Good find , it looks like we must read and write the header, ugh. I'll look at this C++ code. Thanks!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 am

Ah ok, timdodd is a team dev too. Cool :)

Yeah writing a reader for CSV to bypass the Content pipeline is the very last solution i guess.

And yeah, you're right, there are several exporting tools for this font job. MAYBE I can include this kind of stuff in my tool (later) :> But just if XNA autodetects the stuff, donno about the font mapping XNA does. We will find out soon I guess hehe :)

@timtodd:

Yeah the C++ code is a good example, but the example program crashes as soon as it tries to load the ContentTypeWriter. This part has to be reimplemented i guess...i think at this point, the asset will already be loaded (i really hope)...if so, it's easy to decompile the XNB.

If we made this step, we will have to implement the other part...the writing :lol:

I will look into it on sunday (just woke up and will go to bed now again...damn sleep).
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:03 am

I don't know if it is of any use, but I found this http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questi ... r-monogame and it's all gibberish to me.
Anyway, I used an Hex Editor and I can modify some text and make it work now, but honestly it's way too impractical and it feels like I am fan translating a PlayStation game from 1996 :lol:
Could Discord Games just post as plain text all they want to be translated so we could just localize it and paste it here for them to put in the game? :)
It goes without saying, that's only if it takes an insignificant amount of time; I really don't want to take time that it's better spent on actual development!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I wouldn't make it today (time is a rare good), but I hate it, if I am not able to solve a problem hehe.

Just wanted to give you a little status update:

I am now able to read the dialogue.xnb (strings.xnb should work too) :)
Had to use one or two little unclean hacks, but it works. Tomorrow I will try to write the Data back (compile the XNB).

If that works too (should be no pain I guess), I will implement the last features for my tool and release it!

Next step will be the font issue then :)

Good night!

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Marcel wrote:Hi everyone,

I thought I wouldn't make it today (time is a rare good), but I hate it, if I am not able to solve a problem hehe.

Just wanted to give you a little status update:

I am now able to read the dialogue.xnb (strings.xnb should work too) :)
Had to use one or two little unclean hacks, but it works. Tomorrow I will try to write the Data back (compile the XNB).

If that works too (should be no pain I guess), I will implement the last features for my tool and release it!

Next step will be the font issue then :)

Good night!
Fantastic! This is really awesome man :D

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 am

Awesome!! Sounding really good :D

Let us know how it goes!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi,

writing seems to work too. Now I just have to implement the "library" into my tool and finsih the last features (multicompare) and test a 'lil bit => First release. I think I will make it in 24 hours :) Unless something stupid keeps me from it!

I used the "hacky" but faster way hehe.

@Discord: Do you think your strings.csv or dialogue.csv will change in the future?
I guess the dialogue.csv will grow really big in the future.
Or maybe you are planning to encode the files inside the XNB?

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Marcel wrote:Hi,
@Discord: Do you think your strings.csv or dialogue.csv will change in the future?
I guess the dialogue.csv will grow really big in the future.
Or maybe you are planning to encode the files inside the XNB?
Awesome! There's no further plans to change content in the demo, so you should be safe from here out. If anything, a 1.06 release would just be bug fixes.

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:47 pm

discordgames wrote: Awesome! There's no further plans to change content in the demo, so you should be safe from here out. If anything, a 1.06 release would just be bug fixes.
Ok, as long as the XNB format doesn't change or you switch to SQLite or something it's cool! hehe
If you change the format someday, it would be cool if you told me before releasing the next version/update...just to make it possible for translators to translate as soon as possible. But I guess this is all stuff for the future... :)