James
Developer
Developer

Re: German Translation/Translation Tool

Post by James » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:19 am

Marcel wrote:I meant a text-delimiter like double quotes, eg.:

Code: Select all

"This is a string"
but i saw you don't have them and don't need them when tab-delimiters are used to separate each column.

But I looked into your file yesterday and saw this structure:

Code: Select all

speaker   quest    line
I was asking, because i wanted to prepare my CSV-Reader :) I need some kind of key for my list, for later comparison. I guess speaker+quest will do it.

And thanks for moving us around :lol:

Regards,

Marcel
Speaker and quest shouldn't be changed, they're unqiue keys. You'll only want to change the Line column. If you want to change the NPC's display name, that's in the strings.xnb ;)

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am

Hi, yea that's what I meant. I need a unique key for my tool and I think speaker+quest will be unique for the whole csv.
Can you tell me what columns the strings.csv will have?

My tool will not change any key in the csv ;)
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 am

Marcel wrote:Hi, yea that's what I meant. I need a unique key for my tool and I think speaker+quest will be unique for the whole csv.
Can you tell me what columns the strings.csv will have?

My tool will not change any key in the csv ;)
The demo update is out now on the Kickstarter page :D The strings file is just "key" & "text" columns.

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 am

Wow cool, I will check it out as soon as I am back from work :)
I will release my tool today too (with or without merge/multicompare...don't know yet). Should be in about 8-10 hours by now...(irl it will be 12 haha) :lol:

Great stuff!

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 am

Hi again,

ok I just checked the new Demo. Great Stuff :D

But there's no .csv file present. just the regular dialogue.xnb und strings.xnb :(

Just didn't make it for this release or changed your mind about the .csv?

Regards,

Marcel

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

It's still a CSV file, just processed by XNA's content processor. You should still be able to edit it fine, just let me know if there's any trouble.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

How do you suggest to open to edit and then save those files? Windows' Block Notes just doesn't work, the client crashes immediately with this error in the crash log: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "Databases\strings". File has been truncated."
I tried to avoid any non standard English characters... :roll:

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Dan wrote:How do you suggest to open to edit and then save those files? Windows' Block Notes just doesn't work, the client crashes immediately with this error in the crash log: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: Error loading "Databases\strings". File has been truncated."
I tried to avoid any non standard English characters... :roll:
Interesting.. let me catch up on stuff and then I'll take a look. Not sure what Block Notes is, but I'd recommend Notepad if anything since it doesn't save extra data.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:31 pm

discordgames wrote:Interesting.. let me catch up on stuff and then I'll take a look. Not sure what Block Notes is, but I'd recommend Notepad if anything since it doesn't save extra data.
Sorry! I meant just that: Notepad! I just open them via Notepad as plain text and save without modifying anything but the text I think is displayed in the game.
Sorry again for the confusion on the name of the tool, my bad! :lol:

Update: It doesn't seem to work neither avoiding the use of the character " ' " (that would be silly anyway, but I tried just in case), neither does using LibreOffice Calc to edit the file. I even tried different encodings, but I can't make it work :/
I think that when I save the file, something is lost. Could be an encoding issue I am too ignorant to figure it out! :lol:
I tried to modify just one single word on just one file and it crashes just the same.

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:22 pm

The problem is, your are using your own ContentTypeReader/Writer (CSVReader). I am not that much into XNA, but I think I have to do some work with the ContentPipelineProcessor or extract the XNB manually. Because it's slightly encoded.

@Dan:
You will have to use a HEX-Editor and the lines have to be the same length. XNA Content Processor seems to apply some meta data like string length, so you would have to edit this as well...so better wait for my tool :) here are three screenshots (click):

The programm is working (with PLAIN CSV files atm). I guess I have to work around the XNB stuff then hrhr

Edit:

@Discord: Haha, i guess we unconsciously talked at cross purposes. I thought you would place plain .csv files in your folders so I didn't look into the XNB custom ContentTypeWriter stuff hehe.