German Translation/Translation Tool

Unofficial fan translations, mods, etc.
Dan

Re: German Translation/Translation Tool

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 pm

That's great Marcel! :D I'll wait you to release your program to translate the rest of the text and try again to test it in the game, then!
Do you think you can make it so that special characters such as àèéìòù etcetera could be displayed smoothly by the game?

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Dan,

I just tested it in the HEX-Editor. The game crashes as soon as some of your chars are in the text. I changed the o's to à for the first blacksmith text line. As soon as I talked to him it crashed.

I guess it's because they did not map this kind of chars in their font. Or it's just because i messed up the file.
I will recheck it when the XNB issue is gone. Maybe discord has to read UTF-Strings to make it work?!
Soon, there will be a cool link for Chasm translations here...hopefully :P

TobiasAmaranth
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TobiasAmaranth » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:03 pm

From what I've heard, that's what it is. Only standard English characters can currently be used (because yes, the font is lacking them).

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Chinese translation will be a big problem then i guess :P

Edit:
I guess I will reimplement your CSV ContentWriter to read the XNB stuff, that will do the stuff, shouldn't bee that hard. Time for some HEX-Action I guess :)
Last edited by Marcel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by poe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Marcel wrote:Awesome translation tool
You should put the translation tool in another thread, we can pin that one since it's useful to people of all languages :).

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm

poe wrote:
Marcel wrote:Awesome translation tool
You should put the translation tool in another thread, we can pin that one since it's useful to people of all languages :).
Good idea :> As soon as the first stable release is finished, I will do it :)

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Marcel, your work looks great! I'm really sorry about the XNBs being a pain. I opened them with notepad and saw it was plain text, but didn't test it myself. Didn't realize that it was binary formatted. Let me know if you have any problem getting around it.

Also, the font only contains american english characters a-z, A-Z, 0-9, and a few special ones like $, %, etc. I apologize to everyone, I'm still learning what all is required for this stuff. But, I suppose this is good learning opportunity for full game.

Let me know if you can't work around the .xnb format Marcel, and we'll figure something out. Thanks!

timdodd
Developer
Developer

Post by timdodd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Awesome Job ! This should work perfect. I like the drag and drop feature :D

timdodd
Developer
Developer

Post by timdodd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey Marcel,

If your using .net, I think you can use this method to open the xnb files. I need to test it out , but I'm pretty sure this will work. I'm going to test it later and I will let you know what I find :D

Code: Select all

public CSVArray OpenDatabase(string file)
{
            FileStream fs = new FileStream(file, FileMode.Open);
            BinaryFormatter formatter = new BinaryFormatter();

CSVArray data = (CSVArray) formatter.Deserialize(fs);

return data;
}		

public class CSVData
			{
			   public string Name{get;set;}
			   public float Data1{get;set;}
			   public float Data2{get;set;}
			   public int Data3{get;set;}
			}

public struct CSVArray
			{

public CSVData [] array;
			}

Marcel
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Marcel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41 pm

@ timtodd:

Yeah I am using .Net (was thinking about c++ but .net is a faster solution to me hehe).

Your solution could work, maybe you have to strip the XNB header! And don't forget, I will have to write back the information in XNB format (including the file header) See here:

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-us/sample/xnb_format

But if you figure out something let me know!!! I will not be able to look into it tomorrow (saturday).
But I will try to test your code tomorrow if the "man of time" grants me a second :P(about 4am here lol, time to sleep).

@discordgames:
Thanks :) Your XNB files were plain text?! oO This is how it looks for me:

Do you see the XNB header (first line?). The first line also includes the namespace of your ContentTypeReader etc. XNB MetaData. The Tab-Delimiters are gone etc.
Also, the special chars inbetween all the text (the arrows and stuff)? These seem to be integer values (as an example), this sure are meta data. (HEX-Editor will show)

Me and timtodd will try to work around the XNB issue, if it's too hard or time consuming => i know another solution ;D Just concentrate on the game logic :D

I guess it's a pain in the ass to create a fully unicode compatible font sprite hehe. Maybe there's a way to use a fallback font in XNA? As far as I know XNA needs a font sprite, right?
Maybe loading the .png dynamically would be an idea?! So users could replace the fonts for their language?!

Regards,

Marcel