Modding artwork

Unofficial fan translations, mods, etc.
leftnoodle

Modding artwork

Post by leftnoodle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:49 am

Hi guys,

First of all I want say how much I love Chasm, amazing work! I missed the kickstarter by a few months and have only had the demo to play until recently, but I bought the full game as soon as it was released on Steam :D

I have recently been modding the artwork (specifically the characters) painting over the ones in the .XNB files as I am practicing pixel animation and this seems to be a great way to learn! I was hoping to be able to find the animation frame information in a readable format to assist with identifying the correct locations of the animations (as some appear to be split) but this file is a JSON.BIN file and cant be read by any text/bin viewer that I can find. I assume its some form of c# binary/serialization file?

Are there any official/unofficial tools to help with this? I can understand why this might not be allowed/supported.

Thanks again for making this game, its beautiful and loads of fun!

Kind regards,

Simon

James
Developer
Developer

Re: Modding artwork

Post by James » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Thank you! One of our community members is working on an unofficial modding tool to modify all types of assets including the animations. I don't have a direct link to it at the moment, but it's on our Discord channel somewhere :)

leftnoodle

Post by leftnoodle » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Oh wow that's great news, thanks for answering so quickly! I will hunt around and see if I can find it :D

leftnoodle

Post by leftnoodle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:36 am

Sadly I wasn't able to find it, does anyone have a link for it? Really interested to try it out :D

James
Developer
Developer

Post by James » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 am

Here you go:

https://github.com/Kein/ChasmDeserializer/wiki

He's been updating it for 1.050 thats on the Steam public Beta branch at the moment, so I'm not sure if its completely compatible with the latest non-beta release or not. Regardless, 1.050 will be out publicly very soon.